• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do I overcome this?

kindj

Greetings!

I'm not sure that this is where my question belongs, but it seems close.

I have recently (3 months ago) begun Tang Soo Do, with my previous experience having been in American Kenpo some 20 years ago.

I am having trouble with my kicks. My balance stinks these days, but the main thing is the "pain" is felt way up on my upper thighs, pretty much where the thigh meets the waist. I can't really kick and hold my foot out there but for a second or so.

Is this the hip flexor that's weak, or is it something else? How do I overcome this?

Many thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I will preface this with the fact that I'm not a doctor, and you should really consult a doctor about this. To me, though, it does sound like weak hip flexors, but you could also have scar tissue in that area. Don't push yourself too hard, too fast, or you can injure yourself. For now, I would be stretching after every workout (only AFTER working out) and start doing some hip mobility exercises. High knees, outside-shoulder high knees, and leg lifts would be a good start.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I can only echo Wastelanders advice. All things will come in time, suppleness is the most difficult aspect to get back. Because you never saw that one leave. The body will adapt pretty quickly , 12 weeks given by most authorities, for major improvements to begin to appear. Good luck in your training.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Thanks, and I have a message sent off to my doc. I go to the VA clinic, so I could very well be retired before I get a response. :lol:

I think that "pain" was the wrong word. "Stiffness and rapid fatigue" in the hip flexors might have been a better word choice. Don't know if that changes anything, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

Speak to a doctor about it but more of a recommendation though is to speak to a physiotherapist or an Accredited Exercise Physiologist about it.

I recommend seeing an Accredited Exercise Physiologist as they are able to help with such problems and to prevent the pain from occurring again. They can help with your balance, ease/stop the pain and help you get better over the long term.