• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Supplements?

DWx

I use just yer basic one a day vitamin tablet, and a one a day high strength cod liver oil tablet, for supple joints.

Some of the supplements/vitamins/powders/teas mentioned above require further investigation by myself because i need to find that 'balance' of what works and what doesn't, so i'm off shopping soon!

With regards to the Arnica Zaine, it comes in tablet and a cream form, (for bringing out bruising--distilled witchehazel does the same job.), as i am sure you are aware of!

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I would like to add in some info to your supplement section here.

When we exercise, we produce Lactic Acid - good.

But when we add in Glucose shakes, high sugar food or anything along those lines other than plain water and plain food and then exercise, you increase your Lactic Acid which leads to stress as your body is overloaded with chemicals.

I proved it scientifically so I would personally not take any supplements, energy drinks, glucose drinks or any foods with high sugar before or after I exercise - good old-fashioned plain water. Your body is built to give you energy - you don't need to add to that.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

But when we add in Glucose shakes, high sugar food or anything along those lines other than plain water and plain food and then exercise, you increase your Lactic Acid which leads to stress as your body is overloaded with chemicals.

I proved it scientifically so I would personally not take any supplements, energy drinks, glucose drinks or any foods with high sugar before or after I exercise - good old-fashioned plain water. Your body is built to give you energy - you don't need to add to that.

Whey protein is just another way to add the calories you need, and the protein the muscles need, when trying to gain strength.

I'd like to see your scientific proof sometime. Thanks for sharing here.

Hi,

Do you have any papers to back this? The way I've been told throughout my training is to eat low GI foods which release the sugar steady before training and then the higher GI foods for a quick boost during and after training. Your body is built to give you energy but only when you provide it with fuel. Likewise a car is built to turn energy into motion, but only when you add gas :)

I drink protein shakes once I get home from the dojo, on Tuesday and Thursday nights. It gives me energy back, and curves my post workout appetite.

I always come home from training hungry, no matter what I ate before and end up wandering round the house eating everything in sight! :P

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

^haha yep seem to have the same problem, I like food too much :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

With a proper diet most people do not need any supplements. There is a great deal of misinformation out there along with bad marketing of a generally unregulated industry.

- most people get enough protein in their daily diet, any extra gets converted into fat

- the majority of both macro and micro nutrients need a catalyst to aid in the proper absorption of the desired nutrient

- when supplements start taking the place of meals and snacks {ie the post workout protein shake} you start to deprive your body of other essential items, fiber is the first one

- as humans we need a variety of nutritional sources to keep our complex systems working at their peek efficiency

With a proper diet you should have food entering your mouth every 2-3 hours with either a meal or snack that has elements from the three macro nutrients {protein, carbs, fat}. Plus plenty of water. If you are feeling sluggish it could be from low blood sugar. What most people do not realize is that it is not what you eat right before a workout, but what you eat all day that aids in your blood sugar levels. What I tell my clients, don't complain to me unless you are eating a complete breakfast! Without a good breakfast you body is playing blood sugar level catchup all day!

That being said, I do think there is a place for supplements, but please don't listen to the guy in the supplement store! Get help from a registered nutritionist that will do a blood workup on you. That will tell you what you are missing or are short of, you may be surprised at what you find. Also, as a self discovery exercise write out a food journal for five days ~ this is always an eye opener.

As for supplements that I use or recommend to my clients, a one-a-day multivitamin taken with a meal, glucosamine or fish oil {omega 3 fatty-acid} if they are getting old or have joint issues.[/u]

Hi,

Whey protein is just another way to add the calories you need, and the protein the muscles need, when trying to gain strength.

I'd like to see your scientific proof sometime. Thanks for sharing here.

I concur.

I'd also like to welcome you, panicfreesteps, to KarateForums.com!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I proved it scientifically
Which definition of "proof" are you using here, and in which journal are you cited in? As a scientist, that sentence parses in exactly the same manner that the phrase "no-touch KO" might to a boxer.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia