• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Supplements?

DWx

Anyone here actually use any supplements? Stuff like protein shakes, creatine etc. etc.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use protein on a fairly regular basis. I don't use it to "get huge" or on top of what I'd regularly eat, but rather as a replacement. I go through periods of hibernation-like weight gain, and usually follow that up with periods of massive weight loss. (doctor tells me this is the most healthy way of doing it, lol) Anyhow, it's great to use in place of other forms of protein because it's quick, easy, and has a low calorie to nutrition value - which doesn't do too much damage to my daily allotted value.

I use Creatine on occasion after a really hard workout or lifting weights. I'm not sure it actually helps, but the placebo effect is amazing.

Beyond that, I take a multivitamin, attempt to eat properly, and get plenty of rest.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I don't, but I've considered adding in some protein to my diet, but I don't want to add too many more calories. I've heard there's a lower calorie protein shake out there at GNC, so I might check it out.

I take a multi vitamin, protein shakes, creatine, and an NO2 supp. The NO2 and creatine help me with focus and energy during my workouts. Protein for recovery.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Supplements are great, I use protein and sometimes creatine. A homeopathic remedy called arnica is great when you're expecting to be sore. As long as you don't go overboard it's not bad, but your body can only handle so much of certain stuff, so it's always important to make sure that you're not overloading your body with vitamins and minerals.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I've never paid that much attention to my diet other than eat healthily but since I've now decided to lose some of the weight and build up more strength, was wondering whether I should look into things a bit.

Did you guys just decide yourselves to start using them or did you have stuff recommended to you by like a trainer? Did you come up with how much and what to take or did you follow any meal plans?

Wolverine, what's the NO2 supplement do? Just curious.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I spent a lot of time in body building forums doing research and getting opinions. These guys live on supplements and spend all of their time reading about them.

There's conflicting research and opinions on everything. From simple stuff like protein and when to take it, all the way up to things that i have no understanding of.

What I've come to decide is that 90% of supplements are like 92 octane gasoline. I can put the stuff in my car and it will run fine, but unless that car is a race car (my body isn't much of a race car these days) it isn't necessary. Placebo works wonderfully though, and if get benefits from something, regardless of scientific merit, go for it. I find protein to be cheaper than actual protein-rich food, so I tend to use it.

As far as weight loss is concerned, it's a matter of burning more calories than you take in. That's the magic formula. Getting "in shape" is a matter of working out muscles. Do cardio, and your heart gets stronger, work out specific muscles in your body, and they get stronger. Once I no longer see any gains from running and doing pushups, I'll become a supplement junkie. Until then, good old fashioned hard work pays off.

― Homer, The Simpsons

Hi

I always used a protien shake and a spoon of glucose powder straight after training mixed with water as milk can slow down the absorption into the body.

The protein shake straight after training will help with the recovery process .

I worked with a advanced nutritionist some years ago and the only other thing he recommended to speed up weight loss was green tea capsules taken just before training. I did try creatine some years ago and did feel strong on it , but beware it can increase bodyweight which is no good for a competitor keeping in a weight division.

Hope this helps a bit.

OK, I'm back on the exercise wagon, and working out hard enough and often enough that I've determined supplements are actually necessary. This coincides nicely with this thread, and renders my previous responses to it completely worthless. The following are the things I take, when, I take them, and the science/psychology of the aforementioned. This is my take on things from a martial arts/general fitness standpoint, and not so much that of bodybuilder or someone trying to "get huge."

Gatorade

Not exactly a supplement, it is full of vitamins and other "good stuff" that someone who works out/sweats needs. I buy it in bulk powder form at a variety of "superstores" and it lasts for a month or two. I drink about 16 fl oz of this before a workout. Other than that I drink almost exclusively water - the calorie content of sports drinks cuts into my daily allowed intake too much (as well as my wallet) to drink it constantly.

Creatine

I've actually known intellects that use this stuff due to its presence in the human brain, and the theory that it helps brain function/performance. I'll take all of that I can get...and on top of it, it's supposed to provide energy to muscles, cut down recovery time and soreness, and help your body synthesize protein.

It's fairly inexpensive, can be bought in bulk at superstores, and doesn't taste bad when mixed with something like Gatorade powder. I use it before a workout, which works out perfect for me, because I drink my Gatorade before my evening workout.

Like I stated before, I'm not sure if this stuff actually works, or if it's just a placebo, but either way, it has a positive effect on my training.

Protein

Body builders and weight lifters consume like 9 lbs of protein every day. They also pass gas like a water buffalo. I consume a normal amount of protein in a day, it's just mostly in supplement form.

Personally, as I've stated above, I use it because it's a very cheap and quick method to get the protein that I eat in the course of a day. As everything I buy, it's super cheap at your local "superstore" and available in bulk. I usually drink protein right after a workout, which is supposed to be the most efficient time to do so. All I know is that the cookies and milk flavor is mighty tasty.

Glutamine

Super-Weight lifters swear by this stuff to the point that some say it's the most important supplement in their arsenal. For a group of people that take more pills that anyone at the Betty Ford Clinic, that's a bold statement. It's the most abundant, metabolic amino acid in the human body and can help fight sickness, improve muscle and injury recovery, and a whole host of other "wonderful things."

I buy it in powder form and take it with my post-workout protein on exceptionally hard workout days. It usually works out to be an every-other day type of thing, and from either science or placebo seems to help my recovery time and energy. It comes in bulk, and is relatively cheap.

ZMA

Zinc, Magnesium, and vitamin B6. You can buy it all pre-mixed, or in individual capsules and put it together yourself. I take 50MG of B6, 50 MG of Zinc, and 250MG of Magnesium. All together, 100 doses costs about 12 bucks. It's supposed to be taken before bed, and results in deeper/better sleep, and in some cases you'll remember more of your dreams.

Scientifically, for someone who has zero vitamin and mineral deficit, ZMA may not be useful at all. For someone who does have a deficiency, someone who works out hard, or takes extra protein, ZMA will get your levels up to normal, and allow your body to function as it should. Better sleep results in more testosterone and more energy the next day. I approve of this stuff in a big way.

Multivitamin

Apparently your body uses vitamins and minerals to make stuff and do things. When I'm attempting to lose weight, my caloric intake is usually much lower than normal, and as such, I have a vitamin deficiency. A good multivitamin helps restore these essentials, and as such your body should perform as it should. I Centrum, as it has proven quality, does not have high levels of B6, Zinc, or Magnesium (which I'm already taking a high dose of) and is relatively inexpensive.

Thermogenics

I believe this is a fancy name for something that creates heat. That's a fancy term for weight-loss pill. I'm using these right now to boost my energy level, and hopefully increase the efficiency in which my body burns calories. They seem to give a boost in energy, and if you're working out hard, stand a legitimate chance of boosting the amount of weight you lose. I'm not a fan of using them long term, but for a 2-3 month boost in performance, they seem to help.

― Homer, The Simpsons