• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how to make karate kata look better?

david123

I'm ashamed to admit this but when I was a teenager weekend warrior, I'd soak the very ends of my Gi sleeves and pants because the water caused the material to pop even louder than normal. Helped final points.

:dodgy:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have five steps i have followed for a long time :)

1. practice every day

2. speed in doing a form is not counted, go slow, make it count. never too fast.

3. state your name like you mean it, boast your confidence. why? because when people ask you how you learned to do that, you should reply with a comment similar to "like a boss." not literally of course, but figuratively. these judges ask are you the winner? How are you going to win my top score? "like a boss."

4. Kias win brownie points if you scream really loud, but if you intend to fight... watch how loud, this haunted me the other day when i kiad so loud i couldnt breath or talk later that day and when i fought i couldn't help but nearly pass out...

5. keep your eyes up, do not look at your feet. practice enough to where you know where your feet and stances are at all times. use hand eye coord. practice with a mirror.

6. speed is the winner in a fight, not strength. practice using a backfist on a tennis ball thrown in the air to improve speed and accuracy, the backfist reverse punch is a winning technique. if you do not know about it, ask somone who can teach you or use youtube. it is an invaluable technique.

7.use your own personal flair. i use colorful language in my introduction to impress. one time i joked around in class when one of our senseis was visiting from college, and i said "you know who i am and you know what i am here for, to compete, to practice, to win, with your expressed permission i shall begin."

she said shed have given me bonus points. don't actually do that. the point is, every judge is different. take advantage. if you don't win every time, it doesn't matter. you will get better :)

I want to be the very best, like no one ever was

-pokemon theme song

I'm ashamed to admit this but when I was a teenager weekend warrior, I'd soak the very ends of my Gi sleeves and pants because the water caused the material to pop even louder than normal. Helped final points.

the most embarrassing thing i do is to growl during one of my forms, its a two person form and it has a little part where you look like your pushing two walls away and i always growl like a tiger or something there. sounds awesome. but if anyone i knew from school or something saw me i would be like D:

Loud Kias and noises get brownie points :)

I want to be the very best, like no one ever was

-pokemon theme song

There is a whole string of great advice here!

I've always look at Kata in terms of the various qualities you're trying to exhibit. Power, grace, speed, fluidity... the list is really endless. The things can be worked on individually then pulled together as you continue to practice.

Make sure you stay in the moment. This means that your mind is where your body is. Don't think forward to future moves and don't dwell on the moves you've already done. Focus your mind on the moment and commit to it fully.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hey...im just wandering if their is another way of improving kata without practicing karate like a long belt or long suits, people say they make it look better is it true?? any other ways??

Maybe you could KIAI in correct place and breath out on each move

OSS! Shimizu Yuuhiro Shodan Shukokai Karate-Do

Yoon Kwan Ilgop Kup ITF Tae Kwon-Do

very clever idea! :brow:

OSS! Shimizu Yuuhiro Shodan Shukokai Karate-Do

Yoon Kwan Ilgop Kup ITF Tae Kwon-Do

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
hey...im just wandering if their is another way of improving kata without practicing karate like a long belt or long suits, people say they make it look better is it true?? any other ways??

You're looking for a shortcut? Don't bother entering. While you are busy trying to "jazz things up" without practice you are losing to someone who is focusing on making their kata better.

Practice always makes perfect. Watching videos and other methods can only compliment the practice that you do for kata.

Bunkai and kihon can help with kata but still as a compliment (yet can give you a better understanding of that particular kata)