• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Painful leg

Shotokan-kez

Hello everyone! :wave:

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this for me. I haven't been around for a while because i have been working a lot of hours.

Anyway for a couple of months now i have been experiencing pain in my leg. It's like a dull ache, and it constantly feels like i have a dead leg. It hurts at rest and it also hurts during movement.

The pain is around my groin and thigh (front), and sometimes travels down the front of my leg down my shin. The main site of the pain in around the top of my thigh near my groin.

This is becoming an issue for me because it's not only affecting my Karate training, im struggling to take the stairs and walking. Even sitting is becoming a problem.

I have seen my GP but he just sent me away with a referal for Physiotherapy. He didnt really shed any light on the problem. Can anyone advise or help please?

Kez xx

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know if you've started physiotherapy, Kez, but there must be a diagnosis by the GP to perform it. Do you do a great deal of stretching, perhaps pushing the envelope?

Last year, I was desperate to do something about my lack of flexibility for higher kicks. I bought a Versaflex from Century, and I have to admit that, with the stretching exercises from my teacher added to the stretching from the machine, my kicks went higher. I received a number of complements from different people at the dojang.

I first developed aches in the inner upper thighs, so that certain positions caused discomfort, but the discomfort ended as soon as the position changed. I didn't stop using the machine. Then pain was definitely within that area of the thighs and crossing the insertion of the thighs to the torso/groin area.

I stopped using the Versaflex and donated it to a fundraiser. Doing the simple stretches that my teacher taught me on a now-and-then basis has greatly reduced the problem. The thighs still get aches after a good karate session, but they're much better by the next day. I can't kick as high as I did, but my health comes first.

Pain radiating down the leg sounds like the condition is worsening. Tough as it may be, you might have to take some time off from karate to rest the affected areas. You might also get better answers from the physiotherapist than the doctor, the former likely helping you keep flexible without straining the area. It can't hurt to ask.

Good luck with this. I hope it's just a matter of having overdone and a need for therapy and rest.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Well gee as someone with neuropathy that sounds bad. Perhaps BEFORE getting therapy you should consult an internist or other medical professional. The reason I say that is because you have both the femoral artery and some major nerves there. Who knows what could be causing it. Nerve damage, artery blockage, pulled or torn muscle. Could be something simple that just requires therapy could also be way more serious.

Long Live the Fighters!