• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it better to open a karate school or a gym?

I am searching out the pros and cons of both a karate school or a gym.

I am involved with both industries at the present time and have weighed it out myself.

Just wondering what everyone else's take is on this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There's a fitness center in my town that has all the gym equipment you'd expect, but also has a section for cardio kickboxing.

I realize that the question isn't about cardio kickboxing, but my thought when I checked on it was that, if you have the room, why not consider an actual martial art? I like what Brian referred to: a successful real-world example.

You're fortunate to have experience in both, Rayjag. It may simply come down to a matter of space available.

Good luck with the new enterprise! :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I would go for a gym that includes a dojo / training hall. The people that I have known to be (very) financially successful from teaching martial arts have taken this route. Start up costs are higher but you will have attendees in morning and lunch time gym sessions, as well as in the evening. Plus fees for martial arts classes that include a decent gym are more easily paid by customers (given the current recession, something to consider...)

Cheers,

Eisho

Going down the gym+dojo route would also mean you have the potential of introducing your gym users to MA and getting your MA students using your gym. More revenue for both parts.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Exactly, why not both? Open a gym and hold martial arts classes there.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

True. Having more people paying towards rent is a good thing and school floors are notorious for being unused a large portion of the day.

I think alot of us have probably trained out of the gym/dojo at one time or another. It's a good set up that gives you a couple of revenue streams.

If I had to pick, I'd say go with your a) strength and b) market research, which will fill more of a niche in your market. I'd go from there.

Is this just a hypothetical or are you looking to open?