• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before tounaments

CTOWNP

I was just wondering for those of you who compete in tounaments and events or have at one time, what extra preperation goes into your training? What extra do you do for sparring? or for kata? or even breaking? how much does your training time increase? thanks

Fragmentary training is like climbing a greased pole- you may make headway and ascend a few feet, but ultimately you will slide without ceremony back to earth. Sensei O'Hara

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During Judo tournaments, I noticed that a few of the throws worked better most of the time, and I would practice those more to get better and actually at one point in time, I would almost win all my matches using only 3 throws..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

When I was actively competing I spent hours of extra time refining every small detail of my kata and practicing my sparring combos. It took alot of commitment. But it paid off as well. I usually did very well. It's like the saying goes..."You get out what you put in."

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I currently compete within ITF TKD. My training is pretty much ongoing rather than geared towards specific tournaments although at the moment I have scaled back a lot due to exams. For forms I try to spend time going through and perfecting the technical content and then when I'm happy with that start working the techniques to build up speed and power. I'm lucky in that I get to attend national squad training every fortnight so I get tuition from the national coaches, masters and competitors. Every session they give us sparring drills and tactics which I try to practice during the week and during normal training sessions. The only special I would do just before a tourny is to not train/only do light training a coupla days before to give myself a rest period. Oh and a good nights sleep too :D.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My gym workouts change tomore endurance than strength/size.

Eg: instead of doing a 5 X 5 workout, or a 3 X 8 set workout, I do 3 X 12, or 3 X 15.

A bit of cardio etc.

i break down the kata into parts, and practice those separatly...then assemble them back into the kata.

Hitting a bag is great for sparring.

Im currently training my kids for a tournament but with my kids i just go over rules and very basic things like making sure they circle when they spar not to go north and south.

But as far as me, i have a few sets of weighted vests that make me about 35 lbs heavier and i wear that and do my forms and then on top of it i do just the stances of my form with my hands staying in loads, i do my form facing different directions, blind folded, and backwards. I figure, if you havent mastered it by then...give up. I also use wrist waits while i do my forms to give my hands killer precision.

For sparring i work on my combos, pounding in my punches, i do some bag work. and the best thing is just to get in the ring with someone and do it. I also do slow slow kicks against a ballet rail with my vest on and ankle weights on.

While im doing this i also wear my vest to run, do pushups, slow kicks, etc.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I can only speak to the sparring side of this, but you may be able to apply some of the concepts to forms if you tried.

Prior to competition, I usually start additional training 6 weeks or so out, trying to keep a good base up the rest of the time so I don't have to climb back into shape from the gutter. It's always easier to come into training camp in shape so to speak.

During this peroid of training time, I'd really work only specifically on what I was competining in, and trian for those rules only. So for example, I'd drop working on small joint manipulation, standing jujitsu, and weapons. Even further, if you can't knee, elbow, or other stuff stop doing it as well. last thing you need is a point off or DQ for bliping an elbow into someone's crainium.

Cardio training would go up a bit, with more conditioning taking place during training time. Weights would be all about reps.

For fighting, focus on mitt training, bag work, and live rounds. Keep the tempo high. Make sure you're training to at least the round times you're constrained to during the competition and do more than you'll be expected to fight. Make sure that fresh opponants are always cycling in against you to make you work harder.

Break sparring down to work on specific aspects of your game. Spend alot more time with drills during sparing than just sparring. Remember to constrain yourself to what ever ruleset you're working under. That way, you train you're mind to stay within those limitations for the short term.

As an after though, make sure that you spend time outside of those constraints after the fight. Go back to poking in the eyes and cranking on wrists soon after if you want to maintain those responses.

Just some general outlines. It may be more helpful if you were specific about the type of tourny and the rule set.

Breaking the forms down into pieces, and focusing on the tougher parts, is something I have done in the past. As for the sparring, I think tallgeese gives some excellent advise.

deff some good tips. Im not planning on going to tournies yet but hopefully soon. I have just started my new style and am really anxious to compete someday. in about a year there are states so hopefully by then with some advice Ill at least have a good start.

Fragmentary training is like climbing a greased pole- you may make headway and ascend a few feet, but ultimately you will slide without ceremony back to earth. Sensei O'Hara

I usually break down the kata that I'm going to do at the tourny in to parts. for sparring off the line techniques. A lot of Combinations. We also do alot of conditioning, too.