• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sleep question

I had a question about sleep:

If you get 8 hours of sleep, is that the same as getting, maybe 5 and then taking a 3 hour nap later. (health-wise and energy-wise) Would you feel the same and still get the same health benefits from getting a "full night's rest"?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't believe so. I am sure an internet search in some research journal sites could give you better studies, but nothing really beats getting 8 hours all in a row.

Some people just don't need 8 full hours. The studies that suggest each person should get eight hours is just a guidline and it is not written in stone. I personally wish i could get a full 8 hours a day but that's difficult.

"a full night's rest" is really generalizing. Some could maybe get by with sleeping 5 and then taking a three hour nap. What one may consider a full night's rest someone else may consider "oversleeping"

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Not really into sleep cycles and all that but I'm pretty sure that the full 8 hours would probably be better. That way you go through the 4(?) full stages of sleep rather than visiting the first stages repeatedly. Wikipedia has quite an interesting article on it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 1 month later...

I've got no scientific backing for this but personally, if and when I have to split my sleep cycle (midnight shifter) my energy level is about zero for my next activity period.

I am always able to function better with a sleep pattern that is not broken by other waking activity.

I think it all depends on the person.

Personally, I'd be able to do pretty well after the nap. But don't expect me to function too well with five hours of sleep.

Health wise, I wouldn't suggest five hours of sleep. I'd suggest at least seven.

no, its not the same because depending upon the person 8 hours of straight sleep yields about 5-6 hours of REM which is your deepest sleep and is necessary. with a 3 hour nap you may only get an hour to none and then a five hour may only get you 2-3 hours. no its not the same, and it will end up being a detriment to your health. i have suffered from sleep deprivation and its no wonder why its been used as torture. im a very strong independant person but i will be the first to admit i NEED sleep.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

I believe Thomas Edison got only four hours of sleep every night. Even if that's true though, he was probably in conditioned to get all of his REM sleep in that short time period.

On another note, the depth of your sleep oscillates through the night. At eight hours, many people are in one of the deeper phases of sleep. If you cut it to seven & a half hours, it'll be easier to wake up and you'll feel more refreshed while having gotten less sleep.

No, its not the same, but some people only need 5 or 6 so taking the nap wouldn't make much of a difference. Ideal is 7 hrs. http://thatshealthyliving.com/sleep.html

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu