• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chito Ryu

Geminias

I was wondering if anyone had heard of this style?

My university has hired someone to teach traditional martial arts, in addition to my sensei.

I was just curious because after googling the instructors name I saw that she had reached her 5th degree black belt in what would appear to be 5 years. Thats a black belt per year, which I find to be exceedingly fast.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmm, earning a 5th degree within 5 years does sound a bit skeptical to me. You may want to look further into that, to see what it is about.

You'd have to look into the circumstances. It does sound very doubtful, however if that person had trained in a very similar style and had acheived a high rank within in that, then it is possible that they were fasttracked through the ranks. They could also have had a high intensity training programme, something like training all day 5 days, a week could mean a ranking faster but I'm inclined to be skeptical of such a high rank in so little time.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Some Math.

I trained for 5 years , 6 hours a week to get my shodan.

That's, approximatly 1600 hours.

Now take someone, that trains 4 hours a day, 7 days a week.

They are going to do it in just about a year.

:)

Everyone trains a different amount of time, and progress at different rates.

Everyone trains a different amount of time, and progress at different rates.

Very true. I read an article yesterday that stated that Joe Lewis earned 3 different black belts in a year. Of course, he trained like a mad man, and had Wrestling experience as well.

Each case has to be addressed individually. Addressing it is important, too. I don't believe that any instructor should become defensive if you ask them about their credentials.

Her name might help.William Domeitrich trained directly under the founder of Chito Ryu(Chitose)he has a daughter Devorah Domeitrich who is very knowlegeable in several styles.If it is her I would recommend trying to get into her class if at all possible.

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

Here is an articla for you: http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/Pages/article33.htm

That should help a little with the history. As far as a 5 dan in five years? Never happen in Okinawa/Japan dont care if you train 24 hrs a day 365 days a year. Even an uchi-deshi who lives in the dojo and trains daily takes around 2 1/2 to 3 years to shodan.

Erm i must admit i have never heard of the style, but im with everybody else 5th dan in five years seems really weird. When a student in our dojo reaches 4th dan they have to wait a minimum of 5 years to attempt their 5th dan! :o

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Yeah, Kez, ours goses about the same way, too. Earn 1st dan, wait 1 and half years, test for 2nd; wait 2 and a half years, test for 3rd, etc.