• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

should i ask permission...(read on)

to cross train with judo, from my teacher? he not strict at all hes a pretty cool guy he makes class fun

i study kenpo

and if so how can i bring it up in a conversation?

Wise men do not need to prove a point.

Men who need to prove a point aren't wise.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its completely your call.

Firstly it depends on the type of relationship you have with your instructor. If its strictly business and you view him has providing you a service then you dont really need to ask. If however, you have a great deal of respect for the instructor and there is some form of friendship there, perhaps it is better to be open with him.

One way to could bring it up in conversation is to say something like "i was interested in learning some judo at , do you think that would interfere with my current training?"

That way you are not directly telling him that you are going to do judo, but your just running it by him to see what he thinks about it.

Based on his answer you should be able to make a judgment about what to do next.

Cross has some good advice for you.

Many instructors might not object to you cross training in a different style, eg from karate, to judo or even something like kickboxing.

However, if you say " I wanna go train with that dojo down the street for a while" , you might be in problems.

I don't think that you should have to ask to cross train. After all, the Martial Arts journey is your journey; not anyone elses.

Now, if you start training in Judo, and your instructor finds out, then he may get upset, and tell you that you have to do either one or the other. Then, it will be your call. Hopefully, he won't do this, and will encourage your cross training. However, there are some instructors who don't like it at all.

I wrote an article on this subject a while back: Martial Arts "Monogamy". The article kind of lays out what can happen when you decide to cross train. It is not the only thing that can happen, but I have seen this before.

Like I have already posted in another thread somewhere, you shouldn't need to ask permission to cross-train. It's your life after all!!

I think there are benefits in cross training in different martial arts i.e. Karate and Judo, however there are pitfalls with training in two different styles of the same art i.e. Shotokan Karate and Goju-Ryu Karate.

Your instructor would be correct to advise you of these potential problems; however he/she can’t stop you training wherever you want.

I think it’s important that you tell your instructor about your additional training, and ask for their opinion, if only out of courtesy.

If you have a good instructor, he should have a long term programme for you (if only a vague one). Training in an art that does not compliment your existing one could throw a spanner in that.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• 2 weeks later...
to cross train with judo, from my teacher? he not strict at all hes a pretty cool guy he makes class fun

i study kenpo

and if so how can i bring it up in a conversation?

there's a little concern on my part about what you mean by the teacher is not strict. how lenient are we talking about? in terms of perfoming the material and grading?

we have the option for cross-training in jujutsu at the shotokan dojo that i attend. the instructor has a good background in both and encourages as much.

still i think it only respectfull that you ask permission first. which reflects a commitment to what you already practice.

i think asking permission is a bit of the wrong term to use. the question should be "should i inform my instructor that i am going to train in another art"

has he indicated his stance on cross training in the past. in one of my previous schools, my instructor said the school forbade cross training as they felt it was an insult to bow to another instructor. which, in my book, is crap.

i knew of a few students that went behind the schools back and studied other arts (which i also noticed in their sparring, but the instructor didnt, which shows the close mindedness even more)

if they have shown that they dont condone cross training, then i probably wouldnt tell them, in fact, i would actually look for a school that promotes it, but thats another matter all together.

basically, its your life and you can choose to learn what you wish, its not really their business

Now you use head for something other than target.

Different arts and Instructors have different attitudes about cross training-some are more traditional than others.

If you feel your Instructor is lenient and easygoing, talk to him privately about your desire. And yes, ask permission. It is a matter of respect on your part to do so. It means you think enough of him to ask his permission to study another art. Respect his wishes either way.

One problem we Americans have is this attitude that we don't have to ask our instructor for permission to do anything. As a result, we have a reputation for being "cowboys" with big egos.

From what you described of him, it should not be a problem. But if he says no, respect his wishes.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.