• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata, after Kata, after Kata

Shotokan-kez

Shotokan-kez wrote:

Has anyone else ever had to do this and how do you go through all these kata's one after another without getting too tired.

rdsynvicious111: what i used to do when i was karate is at home i would go outside in the summer and do all the katas i knew about 4 times or till i felt i was gettin the idea of the kata down and the form then move to the next one. This way when i practice all my katas i practice switching from one thing to the next and sometimes i would try and just continue from the end of one kata like heian shodan right into heian nidan. but if i wanted to practice just one kata i would break it down with each movement and execute each move correctly and then just do it over and over and over again

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree, Kata needs to be practiced

Karate is like hot water, if you do not keep it warm (with practice) it will go cold again!

I can verify this, I stopped practicing Chil Sung Hyungs 1 to 3 about 3 years ago, I cant remember them to save my life

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Hehe, we test like this, so we practice like this- its the same as learning to not get tired running... just go through them all together over and over.

Right before a test I like to be able to go through all of them twice.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 2 months later...

At my dojo we do this often. We usely do this after a good cardio work out so our legs and arms are all ready mush. But this is how we do it, we go through katas as a class up to where you know, and once you know more you continue doing the kata you did last while the higher kyus go on. It gets really hard the more katas you know. It is really fun on test day when you do cardio and then put through the paces of techniques and then you grapple, then spare and to top it all off you do katas on request that means you do katas in the order the sensei wants them. It can be very hard, so you really got to dig deep and breath, its all about breathing, but it is still hard.

I love going up through the kata mainly because.. i just love kata in general!! always give it my all, don't normally go through kata one after the other at home though, at home I just focus on a kata that I want to improve I'll just do that kata over and over again...

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

At my dojo we do this often. But this is how we do it, we go through katas as a class up to where you know, and once you know more you continue doing the kata you did last while the higher kyus go on. It gets really hard the more katas you know.

This is how we do it at our school, as well. However, once the lower ranks get through all of the forms they know, they might start working backwards to get more reps on the lower rank forms. It really is a good workout.

Sometimes I just can't fit enough katas in one class!

Last night I worked on one kata for two hours, and I just wanted to keep going, trying to get it right.

Unlike some other elements of my training, kata just makes me want to really perfect it. Which is a good thing for attaining a good standard of karate and fitness overall.