• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicks..

avxsk8erpunk

i really like kicks like the round house front sna and back kick but i have troouble balancing my self to turn back to my regular position any tips?

lets say im in a rt fight stance and do a round house with my left foot i hav trouble getting back to rt fighting stance again

what are some balancing exersices that i could do? any other suggestions

Wise men do not need to prove a point.

Men who need to prove a point aren't wise.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stand on one leg.

One trick my instructor taught me , was to tighten up the opposing hand.

So if i"m kicking with my right leg, keep left hand back, and get tension in it

It helped alot, now I dont even have to tense it most times, unless i'm doing multiple kickseg: front, roundhouse,side, without putting my leg down.

Ok. When I do a back leg kick, I don't normally return it to the back leg position in sparring. Instead, I like to try to advance, so I set it down forward to continue to press my opponent.

However, if you are looking at returning leg to the back-leg starting position, try doing an uncoiling motion with your upper body upon completion of the kick, to help get your body back to position. But make sure you get the full extension; don't cut your kick short. It is definitely easier to do if you make contact; you can use the contact to kind of push off, and get back to your position.

Ok. When I do a back leg kick, I don't normally return it to the back leg position in sparring. Instead, I like to try to advance, so I set it down forward to continue to press my opponent.

However, if you are looking at returning leg to the back-leg starting position, try doing an uncoiling motion with your upper body upon completion of the kick, to help get your body back to position. But make sure you get the full extension; don't cut your kick short. It is definitely easier to do if you make contact; you can use the contact to kind of push off, and get back to your position.

thats what i wish i could do but fior our class its required to go back but in sparring ill do what you said thanks alot

Wise men do not need to prove a point.

Men who need to prove a point aren't wise.

You are welcome. Let me know how it works out for you. I have trouble with returning the leg like that as well, except on front kicks. Round kicks are the worst, I think, because they follow through in an arc.

When we are practising this in our dojo we go to the bars hold on with one hand and use the other for balance. Do the kicks very slowly to practice pivoting your supporting foot. Don't know if this is any good for you but worked well for me. :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

When I first started martial arts, a kick was just a kick and a punch was just a punch.

While studying martial arts, I learned that a kick was more than just a kick and a punch was more than just a punch.

After becoming proficient in the martial arts I realize that a kick is juat a kick and a punch is just a punch.

A very profound statement by a very good martial artist.

What this means is that before any formal martial arts training, someone punches just for the punch meaning they throw their fist at you either the right or wrong way.

When you first start martial arts, you are taught there is a specific way to punch or kick. And you practice that way for years.

After many years, the martial artist has practiced for so long that throwing a correct kick or punch the right way is second nature now.

So to answer your question, my advice is to first work with your instructor because many kicks from different schools have different mechanics.

Train and work with your senior students for they have all gone through the same thing.

Also try breathing with your kicks that is the most important thing no matter what style you practice.

Good luck to you

Keep at it, Shodan is just the beginning

Budokin