• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

demmit!! so i was behind on washing/drying my gi this week, so the day of training, i threw it in the WM before i left for work, cold/cold, woolite, no fab softener (i saw the comment about the no woolite or fab soft, but i checked out a seamstress website that recommends that combo for keeping fabric relaxed, and preventing contraction with cottons).

anyways i didnt have the time for a hang dry, so i threw it in the dryer on extra low heat. it shrunk almost 2 inches in width.

this is driving me crazy, as i'm pretty anal regarding my gi fit. Has to pass my wrist by a 1/4" when my arms are at my sides, and my pants i like to just brush the top of my foot.

anyone know if any companies put out a pre-treated gi that reduces the shrinkage, and would allow me to dry on a med heat?? any place worldwide would be appreciaited, as i'm used to ordering my gi's from overseas anyways.

thnx in advance!

The more cotton in the gi, the more likely it is to shrink. Look at the material composition of the uniforms when ordering them; it should be available on the sites you look at.

demmit!! so i was behind on washing/drying my gi this week, so the day of training, i threw it in the WM before i left for work, cold/cold, woolite, no fab softener (i saw the comment about the no woolite or fab soft, but i checked out a seamstress website that recommends that combo for keeping fabric relaxed, and preventing contraction with cottons).

anyways i didnt have the time for a hang dry, so i threw it in the dryer on extra low heat. it shrunk almost 2 inches in width.

this is driving me crazy, as i'm pretty anal regarding my gi fit. Has to pass my wrist by a 1/4" when my arms are at my sides, and my pants i like to just brush the top of my foot.

anyone know if any companies put out a pre-treated gi that reduces the shrinkage, and would allow me to dry on a med heat?? any place worldwide would be appreciaited, as i'm used to ordering my gi's from overseas anyways.

thnx in advance!

Get a Shureido NW-2 or NW-3, they dry in 2 hours hanging. Cotton/Polyester high--end blend. Or have more than 1 gi. I have 4 that I cycle.

Get a Shureido NW-2 or NW-3, they dry in 2 hours hanging. Cotton/Polyester high--end blend. Or have more than 1 gi. I have 4 that I cycle.

i appreciate the advice JWL & Bushido (surprisingly enough, i never thought to look at the differences in fabric blends).

As for the have more than 1 gi..... I have a closet in my attic that holds easily over 20 of my old gi's. I usually buy 2 or 3 at a time, which is costing me a damn fortune!

i appreciate the advice JWL & Bushido (surprisingly enough, i never thought to look at the differences in fabric blends).

As for the have more than 1 gi..... I have a closet in my attic that holds easily over 20 of my old gi's. I usually buy 2 or 3 at a time, which is costing me a damn fortune!

Wow! I only have on uniform right now, and I just wash and dry it after every class. Soon, however, I will have two uniforms!

Geez! I don't even have that many pairs of shoes! :lol:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

8)

16 years, you pick up a few gis. I have a total of 2.5 Tokaido (One Black Top, gave away the pants, two white uniforms) 2 Trimmed 14 oz Pro Force (one's almost done), 1 14 oz Black Pro Force, 1 12 oz Black Uniform.

I've given away: Two 12 oz White Pro Force, 1 Trimmed Century Top

I've killed: 3 Pro Force White Uniforms, 2 Pro Force Black Uniforms, all 12 oz.

So in 16 years: 15 uniforms.

That's why I'm poor. :)

8)

16 years, you pick up a few gis. I have a total of 2.5 Tokaido (One Black Top, gave away the pants, two white uniforms) 2 Trimmed 14 oz Pro Force (one's almost done), 1 14 oz Black Pro Force, 1 12 oz Black Uniform.

John I was actually lol'ng when I read this. i know exactly what you mean!! i don't mind when a gi slowly shrinks, or threads pull here and there, but on the whole itputs up a good fight.

but it drives me crazy when a gi'll last me like 1 month, then the shoulder starts to rip, or one washing causes such a ridiculous shrinkage.

8)

John I was actually lol'ng when I read this. i know exactly what you mean!! i don't mind when a gi slowly shrinks, or threads pull here and there, but on the whole itputs up a good fight.

but it drives me crazy when a gi'll last me like 1 month, then the shoulder starts to rip, or one washing causes such a ridiculous shrinkage.

That's why I only buy heavyweight uniforms. Never had a problem with my Tokaido. The 14oz HW from pro-force hold up better than the 12 oz as well.