• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weights or Body Weight exercises?

Mtal

I was wondering, for a martial artist, what is better, weights or body weight exercises? I guess I am asking from a self defence stand point. I mean I practice my martial arts, but I am sure if I come accross a better conditioned opponent, I would be a little worried if I was not in good enough shape.

Now for grappling and striking, does weights over body weight exercises make a difference? I used to hear that pro boxers never touched weights. I am sure they can hit hard. That weights would tighten them up and they would not be fast and hit hard. Then I hear these days boxers are putting weights in there workouts.

Also, what about those MMA people, Muy Tai, and wrestlers, do they hit the weights or just do body weight exercises? Maybe weights are more sutied for grapplers, trying to over power there opponent, submitting them, etc........

I also think about this, when I see those big dudes that lift weights, they look strong and solid, it just looks like better benefits for a fighter (ok I dont know too many top fighters so I dont know there workouts and what they can do, but I do see big dudes in the guy that look in good shape and would think there conditioning would be beneficial in a fight).

Well any toughts would be great, thanks.

Jay Johnson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do both. Neither are going to be harmful to your Martial Arts training. Each will have different benefits. Exercises like push-ups and crunches and pull-ups are great for anyone wanting to get into shape. However, there is nothing wrong with lifting weights, either. And weightlifting will help you get stronger in areas that those body exercises can't really hit.

Find a personal or physical trainer, and tell them your needs and goals. They should be able to help you set up a program to help you reach your goals.

• 4 weeks later...

Before I started my train, I was lifting 3 times a week for 1 hour sessions at the gym. Now that I train(and still lift that often), I notice that I am far more limber than I use to be even thought I still lift as often. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that lifting won't hurt you or your training. I keep my strength in case I ever needed it against an opponent who was bigger, but I have all my knowledge from training.Like renegade said, I try to do alot of compound exercises too.

If you want to get stronger, you should lift weights. You can find bodyweight exercises that give great benefits, but it will be easier with weights.

Only if you are trying to stay in a weight class or do something that requires stretgth to weight lilek gymnastics will you need to do things much differently.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I'd rather use bodyweight exercises to develop my martial arts training. However, every once in a while i will hit the gym to give my muscles an extra push.

Every time I go to the gym I have improved at least a little with just the bodyweight excercises and martial arts training.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty