• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai dai

n_elraheb

I learnt Shotokan Karate way back in the 80s . My son now is going for his brown belt and I was helping him prepare for the test. The requirements are Tec_Shodan and Bassai dai . I was amazed though when my son's captain changed a couple of moves in the Bassai dai kata saying that this is to go with the new changes introduced lately !!

1- Have you heard of any changes to the moves in the bassai dai

2- Where do I get a free good online video for the katas in general. I find it hard to go further than the first few popular ones

Thank you for your help

--------------

Nagy (Brown belt)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey! As for changes to bassai dai, i highly doubt that... The instructor must just interpret the kata differently, or picked up someone elses interpretation...

About the videos.... your best bet is to youtube it... I found that you can usually find whatever kata you are looking for, so long as its not obscure, and you spell it the same way the poster does

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

I don't seem to find a way of saving what I see for further study while on Yahoo video things are more simple.

As for the instructor he did not change an interpretation he introduced a couple of moves that I have never practiced before ??

BTW when I looked for Bassai dai videos on yahoo I came across 2 or 3 versions. I thought it should be the same world wide

--------------

Nagy (Brown belt)

thats where the interpretation part comes in... especially if you go to an open style tournament... you will see different basai dai's all basically the same, but they all have a few differences due to how someone has decided the kata should be done...

As for saving things off youtube id love to help you but right now i should be going to bed i have exams... if you go to https://www.digg.com and go back through the pages you will eventually find a link about getting videos off youtube

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

As for the instructor he did not change an interpretation he introduced a couple of moves that I have never practiced before ??

BTW when I looked for Bassai dai videos on yahoo I came across 2 or 3 versions. I thought it should be the same world wide

Forms have changed throughout their existense, depending on how different people interpret them. I have seen this with my TKD forms as well, the ITF forms. In some organizations, where they have standardization across the board, you will see very few differences in the forms (the ATA is a good example). However, when you get so many people that "break away" and "do their own thing," you notice the different philosophies and teaching concepts worked into the forms.

Welcome to the Forums, by the way! :karate:

Thank you both for your help. I guess I'll pop up every now and then in this forum. I was wondering at first what to say in a forum for martial arts :)

You are very welcome. We enjoy any kind of feedback that you are willing to pitch in, or any other questions that you might have. I'm sure there are things that you could help the rest of us with as well. :)

I've seen about 8 different versions of Bassai Dai performed by different people. Sometimes the changes are just in tempo. Other times the changes are in the way certain techniques are performed. I've even seen things added/subtracted from the form. The simple fact is that your son needs to go with whatever way is taught to him. I'm sure whatever orginization your son falls under has its reasons for changing the kata. Just go with the flow, don't let it get to you. There's probably not an old kata in existance today that is still the same as it was when it was originally created.

If you still want to really see the movements as they were originally intended for Shotokan; I suggest Karate Do Kyohan, written by Funakoshi himself. Also, the Best Karate series of books is excellent. Those have the movements as they were intended to be taught to Shotokan students at the time.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 3 weeks later...

well, as far as the changes i know many schools of many styles who 'tweak' froms, patters, or hyungs because the bunkai doesnt make sense, so they will change a few techniques to make the bunkai make sense. and as for a video clip of it i have the tang soo do version for you, it is performed by a master and the video is clear and concise, but again it is tang soo do, but it should be very similar.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do