• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

12/16

Drilled blade and strike mechanics. Specifically high line work.

12/17

Drilled escaping the back mount. Hip scoop to open side. Move to inside mount, counter to grabbing the leg.

35 min free roll.

PTK- form warm up. Focus on the backhand side of the multiple strike format. Forward triangle. Move into bridging drills.

Flow

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18th December 2014

2 hours - Balintawak Arnis

- 12 Basic Strikes

- 12 Basic Block and Counter

- 4 Groupings

4 hours Karate

- Kata

- ALL Taikyoku Kata

- Gekesai Ich + Ni

- Saifa

- Seeiunchin

- Sanseru

- Seisan

- Seipai

- Shisochin

- Kururunfa

- Suparempei

- Jion

- Anan

Each Kata i did 4 times each

- Slow and strong

- Fast but still with control and proper timing (Full Timing)

- Back to front (start at the end of the kata and work progressively towards to the actual start of the kata (can't do with some of the katas ie saifa)

- Start with the opposite foot in front

- The Taikyoku Kata you step forward with the right foot and pivot left. But this one you will step forward with the left foot and pivot to the right.

- Kihon

- All Basics with no exceptions

12/18

Drilled Quatro Cantos PTK form, the 6 count.

12/19

am:

Review of hip scoop escape series.

40 min free roll.

pm:

Drilled turtle position structure. Moved into escaping rear mount from turtle. Recovery to half then full guard.

35 min free roll.

12/21

Warm up with PTK forms.

Drilled thru Mount maintenance and escape.

40 min free roll.

12/17/2014

Wrestling: working with Kendall. We worked on a pummeling drill from the sit-out position, basically Kendall hand-fighting so that he can either force an arm to come over the top, or to capture a wrist, plant the hand, and come out to that side by circling around for a reversal. Once he would circle out, he would hit on a straight arm bar by putting pressure on the elbow with his chest. So we worked that into the drill, focusing on keeping heavy pressure to get reversal points and then work to control. We also did some sets of push-ups and wall-sits.

TKD Class: Taught class from 6:00 - 7:00 pm. Reviewed forms, hitting all the colored belt forms. I got to do them alongside, so I got some work in, too. I like this class set-up, because I can really take some time to break some things down and work on technical aspects, and even some applications. For Dan Gun hyung, I broke down the down block/high block segment, really having the students focus on completing the first move, and setting up the second move without rushing into it, but still making it a combination. For Won Hyo hyung, we spent time breaking down the upset knife hand strikes at the beginning and in the middle of the form, focusing on coming across with the attack, and not from underneath, and also focusing on the withdrawing, or "hikite" hand, and its purpose. I did 10 forms total, and those that were lower ranked repeated, so I think each form they knew they did at least 3 times.

After forms, I had them reviewing one-steps, and we took time to work on our white belt #3 one-step, of which the essential attack is a knife hand strike to the neck, which is done while seizing and pulling in the punching hand of the attacker. I put stress on striking out and withdrawing the other hand at the same time, just like the move is done in basics. I think this helped them out, and hopefully they look at the basic technique a different way from now on.

12/22

Drilled Q and A with group over last cycle of material. 60 min free roll.

PTK footwork and Form. Focused on Abecidario and Quatro Cantos.

18 Dec 2014.

-2hr Kyokushin Class.

20 Dec 2014.

-90min low-med intensity cardio.

22 Dec 2014.

-60min kickboxing class.

23 Dec 2014.

-20min Bo staff.

-15 min San Setsu Kon.

-20min Nunchaku.

-Ab ripper.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

12/20/2014

Football Workout: Kendall and I watched the San Francisco 49ers play the San Diego Chargers, and did some reps along with each score, after PATs were completed. We did push-ups, then crunches, then squats. So it looked like this:

SF-7: 7 push-ups, 7 crunches, 7 squats

SF-14: 14 push-ups, 7 crunches, 7 squats

SF-21: 21 push-ups, 21 crunches, 21 squats (San Diego's lack of defense was killing us by this point...)

SD-7: 7 push-ups, 7 crunches, 7 squats

SF-28: 28 push-ups, 28 crunches, 28 squats

Half-time score was 28-7, and we stopped there, as we were both getting a little jelly-muscled. That comes out to 77 of each. Then I sat and stretched. With the bowl season coming up, I think we will try to do this some more, too.

Okay, so I've been a bit lax on chronicling workouts over the holidays. They have happened, but not with the frequency that I'd like. As it turns out, racing to the home stretch with a gym eats up a lot of time. Who knew :lol:

At least we're getting there and within a couple of weeks it should be done.

12/31

Drilled guard mechanics and maintainence. Hip bump sweep. To Kimura.

40 min free roll.

PTK

We worked strikes mechanics on 1 and 2 fluids. Then reverse triangle footwork to diamond foot work. Then put the strikes in. After, we spent some time beginning to bridge. Finished flowing with some of the veteran players.