y2_sub

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Brian certainly i have seen a very huge difference and i'm so happy i stuck with it. I also had chest pain and sometimes my heartbeat seemed abnormal but it's settled now during training.

Also the other week i heard my sensei talking about how bad smoking is, so yes on whole it's all fine and dandy......so anyone looking to find new years resolutions..try to give up smoking. It's the best thing i ever did!

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Do you think smoking can limit your abilities , especially when it comes to stamina and conditioning ..

Smoking has absolutely no place in a lifestyle that values health and fitness.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Like many of you, I am a martial arts fanatic and I don't see anything good in smoking cigarettes. However, I know a number of high ranking karateka, many of whom are much more skilled than I am in our chosen art, who smoke and drink regularly. It certainly doesn't enhance their performance. At best it has a neutral effect, which I seriously doubt. On the other hand, some of the groups of martial artists I have been associated with frown upon smoking in such a way that anyone who is a known smoker within the club would be taken aside and made to feel very uncomfortable. I think this is a wrongheaded approach. The exercise benefits to be derived from a martial arts practice probably serve to stave off some of he negative effects of moking. Moreover, I've seen many people who start training as a smoker who, further down the road, end up quitting smoking in large part due to their training. Either they are motivated to quit in order to maximize their potential or else they are motivated to quit so as to not undermine the health benefits they derive from training. Others often find that their martial arts training has fostered a new sense of resolve and willopwer that makes them feel empowered to succeed in smoking cessation.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

Like many of you, I am a martial arts fanatic and I don't see anything good in smoking cigarettes. However, I know a number of high ranking karateka, many of whom are much more skilled than I am in our chosen art, who smoke and drink regularly. It certainly doesn't enhance their performance. At best it has a neutral effect, which I seriously doubt. On the other hand, some of the groups of martial artists I have been associated with frown upon smoking in such a way that anyone who is a known smoker within the club would be taken aside and made to feel very uncomfortable. I think this is a wrongheaded approach. The exercise benefits to be derived from a martial arts practice probably serve to stave off some of he negative effects of moking. Moreover, I've seen many people who start training as a smoker who, further down the road, end up quitting smoking in large part due to their training. Either they are motivated to quit in order to maximize their potential or else they are motivated to quit so as to not undermine the health benefits they derive from training. Others often find that their martial arts training has fostered a new sense of resolve and willopwer that makes them feel empowered to succeed in smoking cessation.

Tekki, you make a great point.

However, I spent a summer as a teen working as an orderly in a hospital. If you saw the end result of years of smoking as I have, you would do everything in your power to help those around you avoid cigarettes at all cost.

Nicotine is more addictive than heroine, and smoking is directly linked to lung disease and cancer. Research shows repeatedly that smoking tobacco has absolutely no health benefits whatsoever, while at least alcohol consumption does have some redeeming qualities, in moderation.

IMO, high-ranking karateka who smoke succeed despite their smoking habits. As you implied, they likely would be in much better shape without their daily fix of nicotine. I'm sure if karateka who smoke were to spend a few rounds in a ring with a trained fighter who doesn't smoke, the difference would be readily apparent.

Keep in mind that exercise alone is not always enough to make some people quit, so I never feel bad about taking an anti-smoking stance. As a trainer, I have faced this many times, and have had my successes and failures.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I do not believe in smoking and MA. I know that back in the day a lot of guys did. I also heard that farther back in time MA smoked as well (perhaps not as much as they did 20 - 30 years ago). It is a difficult habit to kick but to each his/her own. What MA do outside of the class is their own business. How they live their lives is their business too. I know MA who have and still smoked and there are those MA such as myself who find comfort in food. As a result I am not the best example of a Martial Artist either.

Now, and I have seen this too back in the day, having a cigarette during class...well...that was way too much. I have not seen anything like this in years though. That's good.

Each of us (perhaps I should say many of us) have their own vices that are not a good reflection on MA if we look at them carefully. Cigarettes are not good and should be avoided but then...there is life and reality

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

If you smoke and train in martial arts, you will definately have alot of trouble breathing. Smoking can really do damage to your lungs and will risk high standards by damaging your breathing control.

You are all correct, yet I disagree with you all. An occasional glass of scotch or well-crafted beer with a good cigar contributes to your spiritual well-being. All becomes clear. Haven't you seen the end of each episode of Boston Legal? :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

You are all correct, yet I disagree with you all. An occasional glass of scotch or well-crafted beer with a good cigar contributes to your spiritual well-being. All becomes clear. Haven't you seen the end of each episode of Boston Legal? :karate:

:lol: :lol:

As has been said, though: Everything in moderation.