• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate masters playset

masterintraining

i happened too b shopping the other day and i came across this toy that said karate masters playset, it came with, a karate gi a fake blackbelt a piece of fome rubber wood that stuck together and broke apart practically at the touch. I am sorry but since when did the martial arts become a play thing. and what was in my opinion the worst, part of the thing was that it came with a thirty minute video that said that" in thirty minutes u could become a real Karate master " so all of u who have spent ur lives training in karate trying to master ur craft, got the short end of the stick, because u could have become a master in 30 min. :brow: i dont even know what kind of person wold ever even make a video like that, and pass it off as real, martial arts. or what self respecting parent who dose not whant there child to get into a fight with someone or be forced to defend themselves and get the crap beat out of them, would ever by there child something as dumn as this thing. have any of u heard of this toy, and if so what is ur take own this discrace of the martial arts. :kaioken:

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this toy before. It is kind of a joke, but hey, its a toy. I had not seen the one bearich spoke of, though.

People will try to market anything that they can to make a buck. With the popularity of martial arts in cartoon characters and the like, it should come as no surprise that things like this have come about.

I don't let it bother me all that much. To each their own. Sooner or later, they will find out what kind phooey it really is. Now, if the kids just play with it, and it doesn't cause any problems, like a video game, then it really is no big deal to me.

While I agree with your point to an extent masterintraining, and certainly think the kind of product bearich highlighted should not be allowed to make such fraudulent claims, I think these toys can have their uses. My ten year old sister has asked for some abominable pink boxing set for xmas, having played with one at her friend's house. She is already talking about learning to box properly (a terrifying prospect I assure you) having had her interst piqued by this toy.

I am sorry but since when did the martial arts become a play thing.

I understand your point here, but in fairness, being a cop isn't play thing, either. Neither is being a robber. Surely being a police officer is as serious as being a martial artist? It (what bearich linked to, anyway) says 36 months to 8 years. It's a toy. It's not a big deal and it's not a disgrace to anything, unless you think that play cop sets (with REAL badge!) are a disgrace to police officers. Not every 5 year old kid who has a basic interest in kicking and punching and jumping around and maybe watching a video with some cool martial arts guy wants to take Karate and go a few days a week for the rest of their life. Toys are about excitement and fun. They aren't trying to get a college diploma and a piece of paper they can show everyone. It's just for fun and for them to have fun. They aren't going to grow up and when they are 30 say that they are martial arts masters. And, like every punching bag, kickboxing movie and toy weapons set ever made, the upbringing and atmosphere is what has the most influence on whether or not they get into fights... not a toy set. I have no problem with it.

For me, my problem with this one is the product description

Product Description

From the Manufacturer

Learn to be a karate master the fun and easy way! The Black Belts? Karate Studio comes complete with a 30-minute DVD featuring Tommy Nitro ? and friends, a step-by-step mat and heavy bag.

Product Description

Become a Karate Master at home with the Black Belts Karate Kicks Home Studio. Learn blocks, punches, stances, & kicks all in a fun & safe way. Comes complete with a 30 minute action packed video, training mat with easy step by step instructions, and an inflatable heavy bag to master your moves. DVD & VHS available. Become a Karate Master with Tommy Nitro & his team as they teach you the coolest karate moves. Also look out for the Black Belts Karate Gi.

Heck, it even puts it directly on the packaging - check it out

I guess kind of hits me as a double-whammy as not only am I an avid martial artist but I'm also a marketing professional and when I see dubious advertising like this (I would even consider it blatent flase advertising, but that's just me) it just pushes my buttons in two seperate way.

By the way, is anyone else wondering when some knucklehead will sue the manufacturer because they thought they were getting legit instructions and end up getting pummeled in a fight or is it just me? :D

I have seen similar toys here too, but im affraid i would think they would be fun! As long as parents enforce the fact that the kids need 'real' karate training in a dojo to become an expert i don't really see any harm in it.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

hey I'm thinking about gettin one!! anyway if we played it we'd throw to much force at it and it would go flying!!

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Patrick, you read my thoughts. It really isn't much different from toy cop sets or anything like that.

Product Description

From the Manufacturer

Learn to be a karate master the fun and easy way! The Black Belts? Karate Studio comes complete with a 30-minute DVD featuring Tommy Nitro ? and friends, a step-by-step mat and heavy bag.

Product Description

Become a Karate Master at home with the Black Belts Karate Kicks Home Studio. Learn blocks, punches, stances, & kicks all in a fun & safe way. Comes complete with a 30 minute action packed video, training mat with easy step by step instructions, and an inflatable heavy bag to master your moves. DVD & VHS available. Become a Karate Master with Tommy Nitro & his team as they teach you the coolest karate moves. Also look out for the Black Belts Karate Gi.

Heck, this is just marketing. Every company does it with every product they are trying to sell. The sales of this toy are not going to wreck the reputation of the martial arts. It really isn't any worse than martial arts movies and cartoons that have characters flying around or doing outlandish moves that more often than not involve some kind of wire work.

I've studied various martial arts for almost 22 years. I started when I was very young and I tried to master kung fu until I was about 19. Then I ran into a master who taught me that no martial art could be mastered. Martial arts, like paint brushes and hammers, are just tools. They are external and, as such, are subject to flaw, breaking and weathering. I've learned to, instead, try to master myself. The tool I use to do so is martial arts. But, in time, my skill will fade the same as others before me. :cry:

Bottom line, it's a toy! Nothing more. Patrick made a great point! By your logic we shouldn't sell police, fire fighter, soldier, rock star, and sports star toys. Or anything that mimicks a profession or way that takes long and dedicated practice. Let children dream. Let them pretend to be Jet Li or Jackie Chan. I remember pretending to be Ralph Machio (makes me feel old). I'm sure you pretended once or twice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."