• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good Instructional Karate Books/DVDs/videos

chillindan

Hi can anyone recommend any good instructional karate books? I am particullaly interested in books which relate to the gojo-ryu and shotokan styles (as my own style, gkr, is based on these).

I basically want a reference to help me during my training in between classes. Something with kata breakdowns and basics with lots of illustrations would be good.

I am asking for help because I want to get one by a reputable author who has a good standing in the world of MA so that I know that what I am reading is authorititive.

On the same subject, DVDs/videos? Same criteria as above.

Thanks, in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you want help with learning a kata you could have a look on the unnoffical gkr site https://www.gkrkarate.org I believe and they have footwork charts taking you through each step of the kata there is also information on things like tournaments and useful tips and hints. :) hope this helps

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Thanks, Ashworth I have downloaded the footwork charts which are really good. I was hoping to get a DVD of some of the katas as well. I have ordered the GKR one but wanted to get one from shotokan/goju ryu as well since this is where our katas and techniques come from.

There's a book called "karate kata applications" by Aiden Trimble. It doesn't have a lot of applications in it, but it's got lots of nice clear detailed photos to guide you through the shotokan kata. Lots of people in my club have found it very useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after receiving some good advice on this thread and another one I have ordered Nakayamas Best Karate vol 1 book, along with John van Weenans Beginner to Black Belt book. I have also purchased the GKR kata DVD for the first three kata (taigyoko shodan, taigyoko nidan and saifa) and also a DVD called beginner to black belt demonstrated by Serge Chouraqui.

I have got the DVDs and they are great Im just waiting for the books to arrive. I have found that they make practice at home easier though, as you can refer to a specific technique to check you are doing it right. Of course this is a suppliment to my regular dojo training, but when you do a job like me that can mean travelling all over the country it is sometimes difficult to get to more than 1 lesson a week, sometimes 2 if I am lucky!