• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Showing off

Have you ever used your martial arts abilities to show off?

Last year a friend of mine came back from a party, drunk, and a little out of control. We were standing around on the front porch of the house where the party was, and he was stumbling around, being drunk, and at one point he pushed me and pinned me to the wall. Now he wasn't trying to hurt me. It wasn't at all violent or threatening. You know how sometimes you might be in a conversation where it comes up that you practice martial arts, and someone will want you to show them something or demonstrate a technique? That's what this was. He was trying to tease me about martial arts, "Show me what'cha got," and "what are you going to do now?" He was using both his hands to keep me pinned with my back to the wall. I wasn't going to do anything, but there were people standing around watching this. I used a standing wrist lock, nikkyo, that I knew from aikido, the technique being demonstrated here

Anyway, I used it on him and put him down on his knees and held him there for a second and then let him up. I didn't hurt him and it was all in good fun. I'm not a boastful person and I don't seek the spotlight, but this time I did want to show off at least a little.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had something similar happen while I was at work. He decided to throw a punch and at the same time as saying something like "think fast!". I turned to look at him, and was greeted with a punch to the face.

He steered clear of me for a few days afterward.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I managed to kick something about 7 foot off the ground when I'm only around 5 foot 7 It was just messing around before karate class for a bet

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I think we all show off from time to time, i know i'm guilty of it. I don't have a particular incident but from time to time if i'm at a friends house i may suddenly go into a roundhouse kick :D

I've been known to be suddenly attacked by imaginary enemies and break out into a round of shadow boxing, but that's usually out of boredom...

I have been known to suddendly whip out a side kick head level inchs away from someones face and they don't have a clue what i just done

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

When I am in a comfortable environment, even with non-MA friends in a non-MA environment, I will mess around with them a little from time to time. But around others, like at a party, I like to keep it low-key. Someone at a party or at a bar hears your into MA, and then you get the challenge match. I don't want that.

I've been known to come out of the cleaning closet at work and attack my co-worker doing sinwali with the vacuum cleaner pipes.

I also like to bounce a tennis ball off the floor and kick it while it's in the air. But since I knocked over a cup of coffee with the ball, I've given up the activity.

Yeah, we have a lot of free time where I work.