• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ten BJJ moves every cop should know...with a twist

Ten BJJ skills I would want to focus on in a street fight--in no particular order:

1. Double-leg takedown

2. Sweeps from the clinch

3. Mount position

4. Maintain closed guard

5. Rear naked choke

6. Sprawling (don't want to be taken down until I'm ready)

7. Transitioning from someone's guard to side mount

8. Counter to common grabs (wrist, shirt, etc.)

9. Strikes & clamps to areas of opportunity

10. Standing locks (to try and defuse the situation before getting to into an all out street fight)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem I see is the "throwing some elbows." If a law enforcement throws those elbows, he may get into a lot of trouble.

did you even read my post? :roll: I meant for YOU in a street encounter, not a policeman.....

You had the words police man in the top line, and as I read it, you were talking about LEOs.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Keep the gun side away from the attacker

2. Low line leg kick

3. Knee in belly sweep series (keeping a closed guard too long isn't good. Even in MMA you see this...let alone with a guy who wants to kill you. By turning on your gun side you can more effectively protect yourself. And get into a more dominant position.

4. Standing up from the ground.

5. Defense to the tackle & Double leg (sprawl)

6. Jab, Cross, Hook (Basic boxing combo)

7. Getting into the "T" position and...

8. the basic trip sweep

9. Taking the back (either from guard or t position

10. the RNC

I disagree with alot of the stuff on the original list. Elbows from the mount will end up being the next "scandal of the century." In general, the wrist lock from that position uses fine motor skills which disappear in combat for all but well trained individuals. I don't ever think it's a good idea for a police officer to do a Double leg. Too many things can go wrong from there. If he's messing with a wrestler he could end up on his back and shot in seconds. If any take downs, I like doing them from the T position. That's probably just personal preferance, but it's what we learn from Pedro Sauer too!

Good thread!!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

6. Jab, Cross, Hook (Basic boxing combo)

These will get a cop into trouble, unless he can really justify actually striking the perp. I don't think I can agrue with the rest of your list, though. Good thoughts.

In general I think you're right. I know they teach them here in youngstown. But I believe it's a more defensive use than boxing. Just to get enough distance to pull out the asp.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

In general I think you're right. I know they teach them here in youngstown. But I believe it's a more defensive use than boxing. Just to get enough distance to pull out the asp.

That makes sense. I had an instructor who was a certified PPCT trainer, but I never got into it much. I was younger then, and it didn't concern me at the time.

I would check the departments policy on RNC, a lot of deparments don't allow any type of chokes unless deadly force is justified. It may be hard to defend your self in court if you choke someone out while in a dominate postion ie on the back.

A computer beat me in a game of chess once but it was no match for me in a kickboxing match