• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do we need to ask permission?

Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it comes down to respect, not permission, just mention it to the sensei is my policy.

there is no need to create a problem, by thinking up a problem

However, it is a problem with some instructors and masters.

it comes down to respect, not permission, just mention it to the sensei is my policy.

Some do take issue with it. Many traditional Korean and Japanese style instructors do. I have noticed that not so much with Okinawan systems though.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Some do take issue with it. Many traditional Korean and Japanese style instructors do. I have noticed that not so much with Okinawan systems though.

This has been my experience as well. The GM of my association is very much this way.

At the end of the day, you need to make a choice for yourself, but if you can do it with the respectful blessing of your instructor, that would be better.

You have different instructors for each of the styles your school offers, right, Jiffy? Does this work out well for you, or do you still have students that go looking elsewhere? If they do, do they ask, and how does it go over at your place?

We have touched a lot here on respect and honour for sensei's and masters. I have often spoke of the respect i have for my sensei, but he has a personality where you can laugh with him but he also has a scary aspect too, where sometimes you can feel a little nervous on approaching him. I have a shy side to me so that does apply to me a lot.

Well tonight that changed...i think i respect and like him more than ever. Tonight was a very small class, only four of us turned up. The weather here is horrendous at the moment, very strong gales, heavy rain and floods, it was like that tonight and i still made the 30 minute cycle to class.

At the end of the class we were talking about getting in students and he said to me "well thank you for coming tonight Kerry, i don't forget people who do things like that"....mainly because the weather was so bad and i looked like a drowned rat lol he said "It shows your determination and enthusiasm, and dedication".

I know this is going off the subject a little but it's just that we have been talking about respect and sensei's. My sensei is a sensei that doesn't make many comments, if your doing well he says nothing if you mess up then you sure know about it, so hearing him say this to me has really made me happy and have a whole lot more respect for him. Do you guys see what i mean?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk