• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving Kicking Technique and Power

chillindan

I have just graded to 8th Kyu in GKR and I am now working on kata taigyoku nidan for my next grading. I find that when I am doing the front kicks that I struggle to get any power in the kick when I am trying to execute the technique correctly and follow it up with a punch. I can do front kicks ok when I am just executing them on there own. What I really have problems with are

1 - height, i struggle to get my leg into the correct position

2 - power, i know that the kick i am performing, if it was for real would have little or no effect

3 - control, as i execute the kick i find myself overbalancing forward causing me to rush the execution of the following punch, rather than choosing to move forward and execute the punch in a controlled fashion.

I know that stretching will help, and I have already asked for advise on another thread about this, ijust wondered if there is anything else I can try to work on, or if anyone else has similar problems?

Thanks

D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try doing some work on a heavy bag or kick shield, you have already meantioned the stretching which is a good thing. My front kicks are not very powerful either so this is what i do and they are getting better.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

well of course as mention stretching will help with flexibility and allow for the height on you kicks and will also help you develope your "snap" which in turn will help develope more speed and power to your techniques.

I would suggest first working on the skill of your technique before you start worrying about your power. I mention this because you wrote that control and balance are factors. Once you continue to practice your techniques with supervision of an instructor you will have better technique and skill along with that you should be able to develope your speed and quickness and incorporate the proper snap along with body movement to allow for a more fluid-like movement that will allow you to transfer power more effectively to your given target.

Don't worry about not generating sufficient power on your front kick, allyou need is proper placement if your given target is the groin you don't need much power.

Also try not to overcompensate by leaning forward on your front kick, it is best to stay straight so that you don't leave your head out in front of you as a great target for one of your opponent's techniques.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

If I struggle with a kick I just practise, practise and practise even more on a punch/kick bag. After a while I am perfectly balanced and peform the kick greatly. However some can be tricky to do when there is nothing to hit of course.

Green belt Tang Soo Do. And I love it!

Myth has good advise....practice, practice, practice. That aside, now, what to practice?

1. Flexibility is important, but it won't be of any use to you if you don't have corresponding leg strength to go along with it. Build strength as well. Stand next to a wall, and use it for balance. Chamber your kicking leg, and extend it slowy, by a count of 5, as high as you can. Hold for a count of 5. Rechamber the leg for a count of 5. Do this 5 times for each leg. It should make you want to scream and cry, if you get your leg high enough. Keep in mind, you may only be kicking waist level here, and that is ok. You want to build the muscle.

2. Practice the kick in your form segment. Take the initial stance postition, and break everything down. Don't worry about kicking fast at this point, just about medium speed, and kick as high as possible, and lock out the kick for a split second (hold for as long as a clap of the hands). Then, as you rechamber, set up for the next technique.

3. Stretch, seated with one leg forward, and one tucked in to your groin, and reach forward and grab your ankle, foot, or reach past if you can. Hold each for 20-30 seconds, and do 3 reps. Also, do standing toe touches, and standing quadriceps stretches.

Hope this helps out! Good luck.

bushido_man gave good advice ... especially step 2. Forget about speed ... just practice at a steady rate, concentrating on the technique. Practice the kick both by itself, and going into other techniques.

Practice, practice, practice, practice. About 10 000 times. (Yes, I mean that literally. For example, 200 times a day ... for 50 days).

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Thanks all for all the tips, I am working out a new training plan now. Im gonna try and incorporate stretching and kicking in my workouts between classes as I think this will lead to a big improvement from what you have all said.

Any more advise, then please feel free...

At 8th Kyu I wouldn't worry about speed and power...they come with experience. Keep working on technique and balance for now-of course all the advice given can be put into practice to assist you with technique but be careful of the heavy bag as tendons, ligaments, and muscles need to develop for each technique and too much strain before this happens can damage the joints.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I tried out the techniques you mentioned bushido_man96 in your post. Man, my muscles ached the next day. I guess that means I'm doing it right?

:D Yep!