• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you know..

Which martial art to study?

I've always been 'tweaked' but have never studied martial arts properly. My dad was an instructor years back when i was a child and i'd always go and watch him teach. Before each lesson i remember he would show me some basic arm locks and grapples while we waited for the class to arrive. Ever since i've always been interested in martial arts and have managed to look after myself on the streets. But i'm at a stage in my life where i need to pursue a hobbie to break up the cycle of work/sleep, so i figured.. why not martial arts? as it will benefit me mostly (i have a high risk job and the area which i live in is getting rough).

But i'm wondering which style will suit me best? should i pursue the same style of my dad and learn from his friend who is now 8th dan Kenpo (i think).

Or should i do some research and try different styles until i find the one i like mostly?

Thanks.

_____

Paul

The correct method of fighting , is to not fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KarateForums, PaulUK. :karate: It is great that you are looking into persuing a martial arts career. There are many styles out there, and each one has advantages and disadvantages. You should defenitely look into what your options are, so that you can find a style you like, and an instructor that will suit your needs.

Reference this article: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=24026

Hope this helps! :karate:

Hi there and welcome to the forums. Bushido's advice is great, and have a good read of the link there. Make sure you look around lots of different dojo's first and ask lots of questions and speak to the sensei's. I'm sure you will find an ma that suits you down to the ground. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Welcome to the forums. Your question is very common and so will be the responces. What style suits you best is a personal choice. Do you want more rality based self defense? More of a fancy art? A sport?

Nothing wrong with learning from your father's friend. He sounds very experienced and also it's someone who has close ties to you through your father so chances are he would be very helpful.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Sometimes you don't know what style will suit you best until you try it. As a former boxer, I never thought I would enjoy Hung Gar Gung Fu, but I've been doing it for about a year now and really enjoy it, and I find it really ties in well with my Karate training.

You should ask yourself a few questions first:

-What do I REALLY want from Martial Arts?

-How much time do I have to train?

-What kind of budget do I have for training?

-How do I feel about physical contact?

-Am I in good shape already? Do I need the MA to get me in shape?

-Since I live in a tough area, how important is it that my training is reality-based?

-How qualified are the instructors in my area?

-How far am I willing to travel to train?

Then try a few different classes and get some perspective. Most good schools provide at least a trial period to allow you to decide if the school is right for you. Good luck!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Niclaus Suino, a martial arts author, says it wouldn't even be out of the realm of possibility to spend one or two years to find the right art/instructor for you. Don't forget that finding a great INSTRUCTOR is, IMHO, more important than the art.

Welcome aboard. :)

I'd suggest following in your father's footsteps as a beginning. Other than that everyone's advice is pretty good.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Well, that one art you mentioned...whats it called Ken-po? I hear its pretty cool and you should try it...:D

But seriously Sohan made some great points. Make sure you seek out whats in you area and what you have access to!

Good Luck :karate:

There is no teacher but the enemy.

I have recently started, myself. I am somewhat like you, in that I have a brother that is 17 years older than me that teaches in another state. As a youth I had taken some classes when visiting and had gained an intrest.

My brother teaches a very traditional form of Karate so that is what I was searching for when I began looking for a school. It is not what I ended up doing.

I visted several scools and did a ton of research.For me it all came down to the instructor. I found one I trusted and a school that gave me what I wanted.

When your on your back, it doesn't matter what put you there.