• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Upper Body

Black_Crane

Hi all.

What im about to ask isnt a 'got-to-do' thing of my style, just for personal gain i guess.

Im tryin to find ways to harden my upper body with well defined but not overly big muscles. Just so its easier to take a few punches and all that.

Any suggestions?

First there was darkness, and then there was light, then i was created, and only darkness followed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to kf! I probably won't be of much help but all i do is plenty of sit-ups and push ups to get a stronger upper body. I am only a small lass but my legs are very muscly and strong, whereas my upper part isnt so, so thats what i have been doing becasuse i can't afford the gym.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Sounds alot like my problem. I do mountain bike riding as well as karate, so i have pretty solid legs.

Ive been doing alot of sit ups and push ups, and theyre helping slowly but surely. I just need tips on how to speed up this process a bit.

First there was darkness, and then there was light, then i was created, and only darkness followed.

Judo (or Hindu) pushups are great for upper body strength and back flexibility. If you can't find out about then on the web I can explain. These ain't your daddy's pushups! :karate:

TANG SOO!

Hi Black Crane and welcome.

The only thing i can really suggest it weights. Its not the only way but probably the best. I'm not quite sure how to harden your upper body! Probably take some hits, to get your body used to it.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

Hi all.

What im about to ask isnt a 'got-to-do' thing of my style, just for personal gain i guess.

Im tryin to find ways to harden my upper body with well defined but not overly big muscles. Just so its easier to take a few punches and all that.

Any suggestions?

Since it doesn't sound like you're a fighter who needs to make weight, the best way for you to quickly improve your ability to absorb punches is to add some muscle mass through weights, like Orion said. Try adding some bench presses, shoulder presses, and dumbbell rows on a bench to get you started, and try a variety of movements for best results.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Close grip/wide grip/medium grip/pronated/supinated Chin-ups/pull-ups, hand stand push ups, one arm push ups. close push ups, wide push ups, knuckle push ups, dragon flags!!, sit ups, crunches, hanging/lying leg raises!!.

All these can be done at home, all you need is a little space, maby something to do dragon flags and a bar to hang.

Hope it helps.

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt