• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kettle Bells

AceKing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kettlebell training has been around for years. It is the current fad today in functional training, but it is still a very useful tool. I wouldn't rush out and buy a set until you've tried them (they're expensive), but there are many sites on the web that can help you with instruction on how to use them if you have access to kettlebells at a gym.

I personally prefer sandbags and dumbbells because they're cheaper.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

See this:

http://oldschooliron.com/index.html

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

it's not the same with a dumbell though, because of the weight distribution. swings and side presses, for example, are A LOT easier with a dumbell. even simple things like curls are a lot eaiser. The unequal weight distribution is great. I like clubbells and sledgehammers also.

I have seen the kettlebell training, and it looks good, but I don't have access to them. If the gym ever gets some, I will give them a try, but I won't go get some. I do have a friend that swears by them, and he is over 50, and in fairly decent shape. He is really wiry, and like to workout with them.

• 2 months later...

There are some great articles on the web about them; just Google "russian kettlebells" and you'll find plenty. The main website is http://www.russiankettlebells.com/ and is where they originated here. Although they've been around forever, the new focus on core strength building has led to their resurgence. Even women like them. One main note I've seen is that they are heavier than you think, so if you order some, start light.

I'd love to try them, but I too would try them before buying. I already have a lot of dumbbells that work just fine. :)

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Here's a great quote from the Australian Kettlebells site at http://www.kettlebells.com.au/kett.html:

Australian Kettlebells come in a variety of sizes: 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg and 40 kg. An average man should start with a 16kg Kettlebell. It does not sound like a lot but you’ll find it vastly different to other forms of training and when learning the exercises its better to ere on the light side.

Most will outgrow the 16kg for some of the pure strength moves in a matter of weeks and will need a heavier Kettlebell, usually 24kg is the next progression. But you will always find use for the 16kg for warming up, high rep sets and various joint mobility and stretching exercises. Many of these drills are found in the DVD “Resilient” accessed via the menu.

If you were to purchase two Kettlebells, in most cases you are better off buying a heavier and a lighter Kettlebell rather than two of the same size. Double drills are excellent but should only be tackled once the single drills have been mastered. The general guidelines of building a set is to have singles of the 16kg, 24kg & 32kg first, then move on to matching pairs as you advance in technique and strength.

The 32 and 40 kg Kettlebells are for the advanced kettlebell lifter. Once your competently throwing these sorts of weights around you’ll have reached a very high level of conditioning.

An average woman should start with an 8kg kettlebell whereas a strong woman can go for a 12kg bell. Some women will advance to a 16kg and a few stronger women will go beyond.

They look awesome. Good luck! :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.