• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ouchhhh my finger

Shotokan-kez

:bawling: Tonight at karate i had a bad foot to finger clash. I was blocking with an open hand and the other person kicked my finger and it was agony, the pain shot through my hand. After a few mins i kept going and 10 minutes later i did again on the same finger.

I couldn't cycle home properly cos i couldn't pull my brakes. My finger is ok in a set position until i try to move it, i can't straighten it at all because it is too painful. The finger in question is on my left hand, the ring finger.

So basically can anyone relate to this? I don't think i have broken it, maybe damaged a tendon or muscle? I don't know what to do with it. Can anyone help with this one? Does anyone know how long i will have to be out of training?

Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOoooo, sorry to hear that, Kez. I have seen things like this happen, and have had some near misses myself. The best way to avoid this problem is to have nice tight fists when sparring. When sparring with open hands, you increase the chance of the fingers getting jammed or broken.

Hope you heal up soon! You and I are in the same boat, now! :(

I did have that happen to me - actually I had it happen on one hand and on the other one before it healed on the first. I was lucky that it was the index finger on both hands and I could use the other fingers and thumb normally. I asked my doctor if this could cause permanent damage and he said not to worry.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Yeah we are bushido i'm miserable now. I'm gonna pop into my docs in the morning because tonight i spoke to a nurse on a help line and she said i may have fractured it. I have a cold compress round it and it's taped up to my other two fingers.

Thanks danbong, hopefully that'll be the same for me too. Finger crossed......excuse the pun lol

This happened to me last year. Same finger. The doc said to tape it to the other if need be. It took a few weeks to heal properly.

I just did the same thing to my thumb last week...Arghhh. That'll teach me to keep my thumb tucked in. Oops

It sounds broken.

Let us know what the doc says. Get better soon!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

well i went to the docs this morning. My knuckle is just slightly splintered and the muscle behind the knuckle has been pulled. My fingers are taped up now, it's making things difficult but at least the pain is less cos i can't move my finger very well. I was told to stay out of training just for a week then i can go back but not sparr cos it will take at least four weeks to heal. Gutted now, i will just have to watch on wednesday night while my son trains.