• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being attacked with a katana, what would you do?

Myth

I would talk to the attacker, try and persuade him to not attack me...

If depends on how he is going to attack...

If he comes straight at me with a Di-Jodan (down-wards head cut) then I would step to the side, and then strike to the upper body...

However, if he is swishing the sword about (with no knowledge of how to use one) then I would crouch down and take out his legs with an application from Bassai Dai (very handy that one!)

Running away is still good... But NEVER run backwards, the attacker will still be able to catch you up...

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think to myself..."wow, this guy is attacking me with a katana."

I would probably attempt to strike up a conversation about it....something like....

Me: Dude, you like, are attacking me with a katana.

That Guy: Gimme your wallet.

Me: I mean, not a gun? Wouldn't carrying around a katana be kinda conspicuous?

I guess in this scenario I would of course have a nunte bo on me...or better yet a bazooka. In which case I think I would have the upper hand...

I would think to myself..."wow, this guy is attacking me with a katana."

I would probably attempt to strike up a conversation about it....something like....

Me: Dude, you like, are attacking me with a katana.

That Guy: Gimme your wallet.

Me: I mean, not a gun? Wouldn't carrying around a katana be kinda conspicuous?

I guess in this scenario I would of course have a nunte bo on me...or better yet a bazooka. In which case I think I would have the upper hand...

Yeah, good stuff! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming this attacker is not an experienced katana user:

Depends on what the attacker is doing. He is likely to be offensive, given the situation. I believe the best option is to immediately take control of the weapon and thus the fight. The first time the weapon rises above the head or below the waist, I would move in. Then Hapkido comes in handy. Bring them down and level the playing field.

Assuming this attacker is an experienced katana user:

If the attacker knows how to not only use a katana, but also the dynamics and strategy of combat then you are in serious trouble. Since I can't run as stated by the rules of the scenario, I would use the same strategy outlined above. But I would simultaneously be praying like a madman.

If running does not count then I could only hope that the user is unexperienced, I would create a distraction or arm myself with anything that might help (especially blocking objects), then try to run if I can.

The stronger swordsman does not always win.

if he's experienced, then my strategy would be simple... run fast enough and move through/pver/past enough obstacles that I could prolong death or earn life.

If he's inexperienced then I would grab a stick of some sort... people try to use hollywood sword fighting which involves a lot of blocking and very little offense. get close and drop the stick to do a tiger fist to the side of his head... after that, I would have at least a slight advantage.

• 1 month later...

My first instinct would be to look at my watch. What time is it? What year is it? Why am I unarmed? I hope I would shake this off quickly enough to react.

I would figure if this is happening present day then the guy is probably completely insane and knows nothing about swords, otherwise, I would be dead before I saw him draw it. That's good for me because only people who know about swords know to buy swords that can actually cut.

If he is swinging it with one hand, I would ignore the weapon and try to break the arm swinging it. I would go for the inside line, rushing in on an angle, strike points on the upper and lower arm, and break the arm over my shoulder. If he is swinging with both hands, I would take the outside angle, grab the wrist, and do an armbar. I'm assuming he attacks from above, since he would have to be unskilled and swinging overhead if I were alive at this point.

If he were swinging across, it would probably be right to left, like a baseball bat. I would wait for it to pass me, rush in, and fight him the same way I would someone with a knife.

As I said, if he were skilled and I unarmed, I would be dead before I could consider my options.

You have a right to your actions

But never to your actions' fruits.

Act for the action's sake,

And do not be attached to inaction.

Bhagvad Gita 2.47

Being attacked with a katana, what would you do?

Die

Lol.

Like everyone else, I would do my best to arm myself (if I can't run away).

The person doesn't have to be experienced; one lucky (or unlucky for you) cut and you're a goner.

So, here are my steps:

1. Can I run?

2. Can I talk to them?

3. Can I give them what they want?

4. If not, can I make sure other people are safe?

5. Can I distract him?

6. Is there a weapon nearby?

7. Then I'd attack by throwing stuff, and swinging/slashing with my weapon.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

shoes!! I'd either take them off for him to smell....big distraction or use them to put on my hands for a chance of blocking, and hope it doesn't rain or i'll have wet feet!!

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...