• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Uselessness of Kata

Tokkan

Mine was I had a instructor that didn't know any kata and just made up stuff. Didn't understand anything behind it and I actually got the point of correcting him. This was a man that started in the early 50's while in korea and took some karate in Japan (total of 5 hours) and claims to have trained with Funakoshi. There are many like this and not many taht turly understand the depth of kata. Its a sad reality.

This is sad Brandon. People like that don't deserve to be instructors....well at least his bad tuition didnt rub off on you and you turned out to be a great instructor!

Bunkai is brilliant, i really enjoy this part of karate. Reallt understanding what kata is all about, it's amazing, makes me love kata even more than i already do.

Yes i agree with others...where has tokkan gone? Hmmm say no more.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!!

I am helping some friends at a local dojo with the bunkai on their kata also again they were never taught it either. Its such a sad thing!!

Now everyone together

We want more kata, We want more bunkai

:-) ok so I am a little slap happy tonight.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I believe much of it was already watered down when it first entered the states. You had a bunch of guys that had trained for a year or two during the war coming over and teaching it to others. When they didn't have the correct answers for what the bunkai was, they made it up or just said it's secret.

The strangest thing is that anytime I've ever asked anyone who is well trained about bunkai, they've never said, "oh it's secret." I honestly believe that was a cop out for people who didn't know.

Does anyone else agree with this of feel this way?

This is a valid point, I think. Many times, especially with high ranked master instructors, they want to save face, instead of admitting that they don't know. They should not teach what they don't know, and then go and look up answers to the stuff they don't know.

Thanks!!

I am helping some friends at a local dojo with the bunkai on their kata also again they were never taught it either. Its such a sad thing!!

Now everyone together

I agree!

That is very cool of you, Brandon, to share your knowledge with another dojo. Great spirit! You demonstrate your willingness to better karate. I admire that!

Thanks!!

Now everyone together

I agree!

That is very cool of you, Brandon, to share your knowledge with another dojo. Great spirit! You demonstrate your willingness to better karate. I admire that!

Thanks!! It is important to me that I help whereever possible. Its not about furthering myself for promotion (even though it would be nice) its about doing my part to better the martial arts community.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I think there truly is a shortage of good Karate instructors out there. I feel that I am now getting somewhere with figuring out bunkai, but unfortunately, I had to do it for myself. There are no instructors around here with the knowledge to show me the stuff, so I started studying other arts and then started to figure out some of the bunkai for myself that was lacking for so long.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I thought about this topic today for some reason the idea just popped in my head...

When i started training again my footwork was just horrible and i was mad at myself for the sloppyness and i feel Kata is what helped me and my balance so i am greatful for kata.

How , I wonder ... And what do you mean by footwork , is it kumitee footwork or the standard katas footwork ??

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

without the kata, you don't have the techniques.

Why shouldn't I have the techniques without 'em , so ur basically saying that : BJJ , MT , boxing , kickboxing , judo and all the other styles that don't practice kata don't have correct techniques ??

alsey , no offence , but whenever I read a post of yours I have the feeling that karate is an inferior martial art for farmers and hopeless , I mean yes , it was developed by farmers but why shouldn’t it be effective against skilled fighters ! you say that you may never be in a position where you have to fight a martial arts expert , but what if it happened ??

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike