• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad weather and your health.

Shotokan-kez

Typical British weather is often rain, wind and cold. Where i train is awkward to get to on the bus and i dont drive so i have to cycle. Trouble is with our weather, when it's raining it can be hot and stuffy. Just lately it has been raining when i need to cycle to karate, i don't want to put my winter coat on because i sweat to much and get to hot, so i often cycle there in just a t-shirt. The public look at me and think im mad because it's pouring with rain :o So all i want to know it, i'm hot and sweaty but can cycling in the rain and getting wet make me ill? May sound like a dumb question, just curious.

Cheers :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey there,

I ride my bike all year long to work and karate and the grocery store and whereever I need to go. I find that I actually get sick less often than before I moved to where I live now and started biking every day. If you are hot but it is raining, I recommend buying a light rain coat. I always keep one at work and one at home. When it gets cold, bundle up. In other words, act according to the weather. It's a nice workout to ride your bike so keep it up! :)

Rain is not really a source of germs, which is what makes you sick. Just a myth.

You could spring for a fancy Gore-Tex jacket.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

A lot of people think that getting cold will give you a cold. This is a myth. A cold is a virus. Being cold is temperature. Two seperate things. Just that when you are sick with a cold, you feel better when you are warm.

There are ill effects from extreme cold, but if you feel warm (eg. excersizing), you will not suffer any of these.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

i know the feeling. i don't do it so much now, but before i had a car i cycled in every type of weather to the dojo. i was the only one who would walk into the dojo already sweating, and sometimes wet.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Yeah the great british weather, I usually bike in the rain (no other weather here) I hate wearing a jacket and get people thinking that I should be in a white jacket. I think your ok aslong as you don't sit in a cold wet top.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

I know the weather itself wouldn't cause illness, but would colder temperature reduce the bodies effectiveness at warding off illness?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

i know the feeling. i don't do it so much now, but before i had a car i cycled in every type of weather to the dojo. i was the only one who would walk into the dojo already sweating, and sometimes wet.

:lol: Thats what i'm like too, i always have to take a towel with me and spare clothes ect. My bag is so big it looks like im moving home lol

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk