Crescent kicks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, crescent and axe are two entirely different kicks. An axe differs from a cresent in that one chambers in the latter. Axe would be a straight leg kick, no bent knee, all the way through and striking with the heel of the foot after the leg has peaked in height. One chambers with the crescent, striking with the ball of the foot as the foot rises from outside to inside, or with the blade if going from inside to outside.

TANG SOO!

We tend to chamber the crescent kick, i find these kicks hard to master, i still cant do them right!

I try to keep the arc that the kick travels in very tight. It makes it easier to control, especially if you chamber and rechamber the leg. Proper pivoting of the base leg is important as well.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense, we don't tend to do them an awful lot in our dojo, so i don't get to practise it very much. It always hurts my groin too, defo going wrong somewhere!

If it is hurting your groin, it is probably a matter of flexibility, or perhaps muscle strength, as opposed to technique. I would have to see the kick to help you, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
For the mikazuki geri (crescent kick) I chamber. Now here's a trick question, what about a gyaku mikazuki geri? :P

That is a good question. What is the English translation for that technique?? :D