• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the pros about them both and cons (list like Pros: blah blah blah Cons: blah blah blah) Respectfully,

Jay :wink:

"Words mean nothing, they are empty expressions floating around, Do not be offended, words mean nothing."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the pros about them both and cons (list like Pros: blah blah blah Cons: blah blah blah) Respectfully,

Jay :wink:

Depends on you, depends on your instructor, depends on your location(Different countries train differently).

Just depends on training!

Good luck.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Shotokan: Pros..kicking and striking, standup sparring, footwork, forms and self-defense applications.

Judo: Pros..takedowns and throwing, ground game, chokes, locks, submissions.

Those are two good styles to learn together.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shotokan: Can be practiced by yourself anywhere

Judo: Primarily practiced only with a partner on mats. In early training you must have an advanced student or instructor with you as well.

As other people have said, one's primarily a striking art, the other's a grappling art. I recommend getting some training in both if you're looking to train for self defense. I found I was more injury prone in Judo, but it probably really depends on the person and the class.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Karate Cons: Groundwork/ Grappling / Wrestling

Karate is a mixed martial art which includes grappling, throws, locks, chokes, strangles. As well as strikes. It always has been. If you're not practicing it that way you're practicing kickboxing, not karate.

e.g.

http://www.iainabernethy.com/books/chapter_karates_grappling_methods.asp

The Karate Wiki: Information about karate written by karate practioners... Yes, that means you!

Karate is a mixed martial art which includes grappling, throws, locks, chokes, strangles. As well as strikes. It always has been. If you're not practicing it that way you're practicing kickboxing, not karate.

I agree that Karate does contain grappling, throws, locks, and so on. However, since training in an art that specializes in those techniques (Aiki Jujitsu and Brazilian Jiujitsu) Karate's way of applying them uses more energy than is necessary sometimes. Afterall, traditional Kodokan Judo contains punches and kicks...but it's still the weak part of the system. Karate teaches the throws and whatnot...but they are still the weakest part of most Karate systems.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree that Karate does contain grappling, throws, locks, and so on. However, since training in an art that specializes in those techniques (Aiki Jujitsu and Brazilian Jiujitsu) Karate's way of applying them uses more energy than is necessary sometimes. Afterall, traditional Kodokan Judo contains punches and kicks...but it's still the weak part of the system. Karate teaches the throws and whatnot...but they are still the weakest part of most Karate systems.

I do not agree, karate is 70% striking and 30% grappling, we may not have all the option that a Jodoka, BJJ or JJJ has but we have our thows/armlock and ground work arsenal and we practice it.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not agree, karate is 70% striking and 30% grappling, we may not have all the option that a Jodoka, BJJ or JJJ has but we have our thows/armlock and ground work arsenal and we practice it.

that depends on your style and your instructor.

they are great to cross-train together and i think that the weaknesses of one are the strengths of the other, as has been pointed out. I have studied both for most of my life and have only seen good things come of it.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo