• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The power of intimidation

:evil: < this smiley face is pretty intimidating. I am going to do that the next time I get picked on..

j/k.. serious moment, I am only 5'9" and I was picked on all through school. I weighed 116 and was 5'3" my sophmore year.. Like I said I am only 5'9" now. I wanted to be huge and was obsessed with body building for like 5 years, and after that I thought I was tough as nails and got put in my place.. and I deserved it. I only weigh 170 but my friends say I am probably the most intimidating one in the group.. I am always usually quiet and calm. they said that is what usually bothers them the most..?

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i dont know if you would call this intimidation, but i always look into my opponents eyes and i will move my hands in a sort of mysticaly slow way before i strike to make my opponent confused (this doesnt always work by the way)

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

The only time I have heard of being intimidated by a kiya was when my first Taekwondo master, heard Grand Master Dong Geun Park practicing forms when he thought there was no one around. Apparently, it sounded like a sound that could only come from a wild animal. That would be something to hear.

Personally, I'm not an easily intimidated person, but I also don't try to intimidate opponents. It doesn't seem like it's worth it. That basically makes it sound like I'm lazy haha.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

The only time I have heard of being intimidated by a kiya was when my first Taekwondo master, heard Grand Master Dong Geun Park practicing forms when he thought there was no one around. Apparently, it sounded like a sound that could only come from a wild animal. That would be something to hear.

Personally, I'm not an easily intimidated person, but I also don't try to intimidate opponents. It doesn't seem like it's worth it. That basically makes it sound like I'm lazy haha.

your not lazy, I agree, no one should be trying to intimidate people...

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I don't know about 'never'. Intimidating an opponent can be an excellent alternative to fighting. Someone who has decided to fight can be 'persuaded' to change their mind by intimidation tactics. That seems to me to be ethically superior and an appropriate use of the tactic.

Well, I don't know about 'never'. Intimidating an opponent can be an excellent alternative to fighting. Someone who has decided to fight can be 'persuaded' to change their mind by intimidation tactics. That seems to me to be ethically superior and an appropriate use of the tactic.
Yes, I think that you make a good point here. If you can get things to change without resorting to physical violence, then all the better.

• 4 months later...
muscular size is probably the most awesome intimidating factor there is. size and a cold stare.

Nine: I would respectfully disagree with this. I have never been intimidated by the size of an opponent. Maybe it is because I am too stupid to be scared, but I would rather think that my personaliy doesnt lend to being intimidated very well. I would think that the "1000 yard stare" is more intimdating than size. A person (regardless of age,size or sex) who looks as though they are looking trough you can be unnerving. My students accuse me of this all the time during sparring. We call it "total commitment" in our system and infact is what Zanchin (our schools name) means.

it varies from person to person. on my job, I have ended confrontations before they started merely because of my size. I have even had guys tell me they would whoop me if I wasn't so big. size is a very powerful intimidator.

I would have to agree with this as well. There is a reason why night clubs and bars hire great big people to be bouncers and doormen. I know that size doesn't matter to eveyone, but to the general, non-MA practicing public, it can be a factor.

You guys may be right, but in my experience if someone is wanting trouble your size could be just as much of a factor in getting things rolling. I have actually had a guy who I had to "deal with" tell me that fighting someone my size was a "win" no matter what. I asked why and he said "because I am smaller than you... If I win cool, if I lose it was no big deal, cause you are supposed to lose to guys bigger than you". I know this is a sick way of thinking but some guys suffer from "little man syndrom" and look for those "David vs. Goliath" match ups. Also, if you rely on size to be intimidating instead of general demenor...what happens when you run into someone your size or bigger? I work in a prison, and am surrounded by guys who work out with weights all day, and already have a high disdain for following the norms of society. The last altercation I had was with an inmate who was 6'8" tall and weighed about 320lbs. His nickname was "Big foot", and he is doing time for murder. He certainly wasnt intimadated by me (he is now). After our "disagreement" (after spending some time at the institutions hospital (2 weeks) and 3 months in seg. He is very respectful of me. I understand that some people equate size to fighting ability, but watch out for that little guy who has something to prove, or the other little guy who knows that he can beat a big man (Hes probably done it before and can do it again).

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

Yes, I think that you make a good point here. If you can get things to change without resorting to physical violence, then all the better.

I agree with this, but again would add that be very careful. Some people react differently to being intimidated. I know people who, if they think they are afraid of you, will shoot you instead of fighting. Some people will bring an "equalizer" into play if they are intimidated. Be very careful, and be aware of your environment. I would maintain that sometimes people get to caught up in trying to appear tough or "hard" and lose focus on what they should be paying attention to. How many time have you seen someone who was trying to look or act tough get sucker punched?

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

Kiah's don't intimidate me - if anything they make me want to cover my ears if they are loud enough. LOL Personally I use them to release energy and emphasize a strike.

I agree with what several posters said earlier, the right stare-down can be intimidating to people. I've been told I have an intense intimidating stare. But I didn't know whether to be flattered or insulted. LOL

Speaking for myself, what I find intimidating or un-nerving are sparring partners who have an extremely muscular upper body.

One other on that list are those with long legs. I see them as having a more "reach advantage" especially when doing those axe kicks or spin kicks. LOL

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

You guys may be right, but in my experience if someone is wanting trouble your size could be just as much of a factor in getting things rolling. I have actually had a guy who I had to "deal with" tell me that fighting someone my size was a "win" no matter what. I asked why and he said "because I am smaller than you... If I win cool, if I lose it was no big deal, cause you are supposed to lose to guys bigger than you". I know this is a sick way of thinking but some guys suffer from "little man syndrom" and look for those "David vs. Goliath" match ups. Also, if you rely on size to be intimidating instead of general demenor...what happens when you run into someone your size or bigger? I work in a prison, and am surrounded by guys who work out with weights all day, and already have a high disdain for following the norms of society. The last altercation I had was with an inmate who was 6'8" tall and weighed about 320lbs. His nickname was "Big foot", and he is doing time for murder. He certainly wasnt intimadated by me (he is now). After our "disagreement" (after spending some time at the institutions hospital (2 weeks) and 3 months in seg. He is very respectful of me. I understand that some people equate size to fighting ability, but watch out for that little guy who has something to prove, or the other little guy who knows that he can beat a big man (Hes probably done it before and can do it again).

Very nice. Those are some good points to consider.

Some people react differently to being intimidated. I know people who, if they think they are afraid of you, will shoot you instead of fighting. Some people will bring an "equalizer" into play if they are intimidated. Be very careful, and be aware of your environment. I would maintain that sometimes people get to caught up in trying to appear tough or "hard" and lose focus on what they should be paying attention to. How many time have you seen someone who was trying to look or act tough get sucker punched?

This is a good point to consider as well. Perhaps it is good that I have been blessed with the baby-face! :D