jeet Kune do is a philosophy, and is not effective

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when bruce lee taught he was always worried that people would think things had to b dun a certain way,however to get the most out of JKD it is better to have another style as a base line and build upon it.and JKD means "the way of intercepting fists" but bruce later rreted giving it a name

its like a finger pointing away to the moon.....dont concentrate on the finger or youu will miss all that heavenly glory

A couple are the broken rhythym (?) and another has something to do with moving second, but striking first. Not sure, I must review.

If broken rhythm refers to breaking the opponents rhythm, then we are talking about kung fu principles. The same goes for moving second and striking first.

A lot of Bruce Lee's principles are kung fu principles, including the one about being like water. Wether he forgot to mention that fact or wether he mentioned it but nobody was listenning, I don't know.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

actually, JKD is based heavily from Western Boxing and Fencing; the gung fu aspects are in the kicking and subtle principles here and there. Other than that, terms like broken rhythm, attacking on riposte, counter-time, etc comes from fencing. Boxing wise, many of the hand strikes were inspired by the old school boxers Jack Dempsey, Jim Driscoll and Edwin Haislet.

you scythe with it!!!!!!

actually, JKD is based heavily from Western Boxing and Fencing; the gung fu aspects are in the kicking and subtle principles here and there. Other than that, terms like broken rhythm, attacking on riposte, counter-time, etc comes from fencing. Boxing wise, many of the hand strikes were inspired by the old school boxers Jack Dempsey, Jim Driscoll and Edwin Haislet.

There is no denying the influence of Western Boxing and Fencing in JKD, however, it is my understanding that Wing Chun was a very strong influence in its development. Also, the principles of being like water; adapting; intercepting are all kung fu principles.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

the whole "take what works, leave what doesnt" philosophy was not originated by Bruce Lee,so ...

whats JKD? mixed techniques that are trained differently all over the world which carries some of the teachings of Bruce Lee.

I've read some post saying: "if its JKD it cant be beaten",or "it works if its JKD"- people, JKD CAN work, but having trained in JKD doesnt mean you cant be beaten on the streets, it means that person trained to be the most effective he could be on the streets.

The same is taught at any Kajukenbo school - we train to be the best at fighting because we are NOT invincible, so we strive to be the best.

Curious how kenpo and JKD share the same philosophy of taking what works and leaving what doesnt... so which is it? is it JKD, or a prepared martial artist?

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

JKD is anything but mixed techniques. Bruce had a definite body of knowledge, a definite system, a progression and direction regarding combat. Any effort to pare it down to such a definition other than what i just stated, is to undermine Bruce's body of technical, principle, and philosophical work.

you scythe with it!!!!!!

JKD is anything but mixed techniques. Bruce had a definite body of knowledge, a definite system, a progression and direction regarding combat. Any effort to pare it down to such a definition other than what i just stated, is to undermine Bruce's body of technical, principle, and philosophical work.

ok, then explain to me this "definite system". All i keep finding is be quick, intercept, dont let the opponent have time or room to move... if you read any good kung fu book(Baguazhang or Xing yi, to name 2) you will find the same advice in other words. i have seen most jkd train different from each other, and if you incorporate more stuff than what was trained for originally, you are in fact mixing techniques. i dont see anything wrong with mixing techniques as long as you can make it logical and effective.

And I got another question: if Bruce Lee only had one official student in his life: why did that student want to incorporate what he had been taught as something that would work for all other students? if jkd is designed to work for everyone, you would think the person would modify it to fit them. I'm curious because I dont have anything concrete to call jkd other than philosophy.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

ok, then explain to me this "definite system". All i keep finding is be quick, intercept, dont let the opponent have time or room to move... if you read any good kung fu book(Baguazhang or Xing yi, to name 2) you will find the same advice in other words. i have seen most jkd train different from each other, and if you incorporate more stuff than what was trained for originally, you are in fact mixing techniques. i dont see anything wrong with mixing techniques as long as you can make it logical and effective.

And I got another question: if Bruce Lee only had one official student in his life: why did that student want to incorporate what he had been taught as something that would work for all other students? if jkd is designed to work for everyone, you would think the person would modify it to fit them. I'm curious because I dont have anything concrete to call jkd other than philosophy.

You make many valid points. I would like to think of JKD as a phase one reaches after a relatively long time of training in his chosen martial art, where he will take what works for him and disgard the rest. That is make a given style his own.

However, this concept was not invented by Bruce Lee, furthermore, it has existed in traditional martial arts for ages. In my opinion that Bruce Lee just invented the name, Jeet Kune Do and aimed to, shall we say, cut corners, so that instead of mastering a style and then making it your own, you just started to make it your own from day one, using various combinations of martial arts.

Wether everyone agrees with the Bruce Lee approach is another discussion.

It is a fact though that nowadays there are many, many martial artists that take similar approaches to their training eg. The cross training/mixed martial arts craze. Some were inspired by Bruce Lee and some were not.