• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

jeet Kune do is a philosophy, and is not effective

The Jeet Kune Do concept is nothing unique. Martial arts systems such as traditional (real) kung fu and karate advocate the same philosophy but not in the same way. First you train, learn and understand the individual style. This by nature will take some years at least, and then you adapt it to you, ie. you take what works for you and ignore what doesn't.

Keep in mind that many real kung fu and karate styles incorporate not only simple striking techniques, but also various grappling, pressure point fighting etc. i.e. the arsenal is there to choose and adapt to oneself.

Traditionally in China many martial arts experts would train in more than one kung fu style. This meant that they would have an even greater arsenal to incorporate into their "personal" fighting system. They never called this concept Jeet Kune Do because they were not thinking in terms of marketing kung fu in such a way, and to westerners at that.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% with Traditional-Fist, there is no style that I know of that says that you have to agree 100% with everything they teach, there isn't a single closed minded system out there. There are multitudes of people, instructors, that are closed minded and have decided that 'my way is the only way' and have not perfected their style to themselves. Every thing adapts, I don't believe that the arts we do today resemble, in many ways, the arts that were created back in the day.

Our training methods have changed, our mindsets also have changed.

On the subject of learning under many different people, I want to state one thing in particular. In traditional arts, I will take my art of shorin-ryu as an example, every kata series (i.e. naihanchi, Pinan, Passai, etc) was created by a different person in each case. Each of these people added something to their art, and that's what's been lacking in the majority of 'traditional' arts nowadays, no one really has the gumption to change what they've learned, when they need to.

That's where people like my karate instructor, Tadashi Yamashita, Bruce lee, the MMA and NHB pioneers, like the late Carlson Gracie, have outshone the majority of martial artists, the prime thing everyone should take away from their art is the ability to adapt, and create for yourself.

I read (I can can get the exact qoute if need be) that Bruce Lee regretted the name JKD. It's a philosohy. Can you call MMA an exact art? If you take Muay Thai and Submission Wrestling...your a mixed martial artist. But if you take Boxing and BJJ, you're still a mixed martial artist. Diffrent styles, but same concept. "Having no way as way, limitation as limitation."

you get two jkd students or masters to fight full contact guess what you get. Two kickboxers.

you get two karate students or two masters to fight full contact guess what you get. Two kickboxers.

The last 10 years have produced the best methods of fighting anything prior to that was trying to get it right.

Take the challenge get two jkd. karate, Kungfu, kickboxing, savate experts and put them in a real fight situation you will see the technique and philosophy is all the same.

you get two jkd students or masters to fight full contact guess what you get. Two kickboxers.

you get two karate students or two masters to fight full contact guess what you get. Two kickboxers.

The last 10 years have produced the best methods of fighting anything prior to that was trying to get it right.

Take the challenge get two jkd. karate, Kungfu, kickboxing, savate experts and put them in a real fight situation you will see the technique and philosophy is all the same.

Pretty much, this is why various training methods are important in the world if there is to be more martial arts.

Its the little things though that seperate the arts, mainly due to the culture they were spawned in. Thus small tiny different ideas and some big ideas in traditional arts and mixed martial arts.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

We live in a far more advanced world today than the samari did. Their philosopy was important to deal with the daily possibility of death.

Imagine today if each one of us knew if our martial skill was not better than our opponent you will die. you would need a philosophy and a bonding culture to mentally deal with it.

Today we dont realistically deal with each encounter means death.

We are a smarter people than that of 3 to 4 hundred years ago.

TELL ME WHY WE CANT CREATE A PHILOSOPHY AND CULTURE WITHIN THE NEW REALISTIC COMBAT ARTS TO DEAL WITH OUR STRONGEST FEARS>THEN WE CONTINUE TO EVOLVE>

We are a smarter people than that of 3 to 4 hundred years ago.

Lol, I'm not to sure I can agree with that.

Question to JKD practitioners though, is sparring JKD full contact or point sparring?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

JKD fighters become kickboxers? Doesn't that totally deny the grappling aspect of fighting? Any JKD fighter worth his salt will be a good trapper and grappler as well as kickboxer.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!