• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question on outside study

Brady

I just recently started training in Shorin-ryu, and I enjoy the style very much. I asked a Sempei in the class if she could point me in the direction of any record of our kata system, so that I could work some out at home. She indicated to me that there was nothing that I could or should use, and that the only way to learn them was to come to class.

I understand that one requires an instructor, and that you can't learn karate from a book. You have to paint the fence. However, I am trying to learn and work as much as I can, and altough i could never master the katas on my own, I certainly could learn the basic sequence of moves training at home, which allow me for more time at training to have Sensei and Sempeis help me really polish and hone my skills.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

"You can't learn karate from a book. You gotta paint the fence."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What katas do you use?

There is a good book for Wado Ryu practitioners called "Karate Katas of Wado Ryu" - a step by step guide to the main katas with plenty of photographs. ~But it's true you can't learn from a book, not least because different schools modify the katas in their own ways.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

If you practice Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu, Shoshin Nagamine's book is a no-brainer. There is also a great DVD of Sensei Ota out there where he performs all of the common Shuri kata.

There are indeed nuances that you can not pick up from a book or video, but there's nothing wrong with using SECONDARY sources of information. If nothing else, Sensei Ota's video will let you see a fabulous kata performance so you can see what good karate looks like.

In some cases, invariably in the early stages, excess training and diffuse training without focus will delay progress. Drill what you know and get taught... build your base of knowledge before you get the info from multipe sources.

I do applaud your conviction though, don't burn yourself out.

The thing is that there's not alot of instruction, it's more like follow along. I just feel like I don't want to hold things up any, and I could be better than I am with just a little more work and information

"You can't learn karate from a book. You gotta paint the fence."

Honestly, the info is available but like someone else was trying to say if this is early into your training this might do you more harm then good.

I have a very good video kata collection of almost all of my shito ryu kata when I feel I'm getting rusty and need a reference tool but remember that videos/books/etc. are just reference tools and are not your sensei.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Using books and DVDs can be helpful to you, but so can making notes and keeping a journal. Maybe you could try taking a notebook with you and jot down after class things you want to work on at home. Maybe you could ask Sensei/Sempai to give you a "goal" each week to practice at home (eg. a specific kick to work on, or practice the beginning of a kata or whatever).

As for "instruction" then if you don't understand something or if you want to get better then you really need to speak to your Sensei. Although a Sensei has a duty to make sure that all students are learning and progressing, they're not mind readers and if you are stuck with something or need help then you have to ask.

If you don't want to feel like you're constantly asking questions of Sensei all the time then ask some of your fellow students. Even someone who is the same grade or only one grade higher than you can help you and point you in the right direction. I always tell the kids in my classes that we can all help one another - even a white belt can help another whitebelt with something and we can all learn from one another too.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i don't think that you realy need to learn katas ahead of your level, also i can promise you are not holding things up, this is the way karate works ,there is no race , we go to dojo 2-3 times a week doing same things mostly refining the techniques so there is allways time for questions.

still if you wanna have a book i recommend Nagamine's book in Okinawan karate, it mostly covers Matsubayashi shorin ryu but is a good reference,

now for DVD i recommend a crapy production about Hohen Soken (" life of a master"? not sure) and white crane, you can find Naihanchi and pinan katas performed by one of the Hohen Soken students about 30 years ago, also some Hakutsuru kata and weapons.

who is your sensei?