• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The concept of jdk is to take whats useful to you and discard the things that dont work for you, Jeet Fan (spelling?) is the actual style

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey my first ever post!!!!!

Im studying JKD at the moment. JKD is a concept not a style.

what does that mean.. i think JKD IS a style, and a concept.. like all MA

This is incorrect...Jkd is a way of thinking and is not confined by style...it takes the essance of other styles, ie...boxing, wrestling, shoot fighting, wing chun or what ever. Its not a style on its own, it borrows and expands on other styles, classical and modern.

Jkd is only a name and nothing else, fighting is fighting...simple as that.

Jkd could have been invented by anyone who cross trains or calls them selves a street fighter. Lee was way ahead of his time in my opinion.

Be like water my friend!!

JKD just 'is'

its a name. Its not bruces way to fight its your way to fight. Its up to you everybody has a different interpretation of the same thing. In JKD theirs no right or wrong way of doing somehting as long as it works. JKD is your way.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

By default, JKD is what works. If it doesn't work, its not JKD.

Having said that, there are multiple solutions to any given problem, so JKD can define any number of separate "solutions," if you will.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Get Teri Tom's book on the Straightlead, that will allow you and others to get the gist of JKD, as it is indeed a martial art of its own, very darn capable of standing on its OWN two feet.

you scythe with it!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Having said that, there are multiple solutions to any given problem, so JKD can define any number of separate "solutions," if you will.

so would u say that anybody can pretty much make their own jkd? for example a karate fighter just uses the karate that they find usefull and discard the rest, would that be considered jkd in your opinion?

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

so would u say that anybody can pretty much make their own jkd? for example a karate fighter just uses the karate that they find usefull and discard the rest, would that be considered jkd in your opinion?

Karate is a slice of the pie, boxing is a slice of the pie, wrestling is a slice of the pie...all pretty tasty BUT put together.. you get the whole pie, a pretty tasty meal! JKD aims to give you all the pie. Some people prefer certain parts of jkd...grappling, punching and so on. To really have an awnser to multiple, unpredictable sitiuations AND be adaptable, its best to taste as much of that pie as possible!! :P

BTW...i am not biased to any art, i think everything has merit and strong points. I think those who are, pretty single minded in my opinion.

Karate is a slice of the pie, boxing is a slice of the pie, wrestling is a slice of the pie...all pretty tasty BUT put together.. you get the whole pie, a pretty tasty meal! JKD aims to give you all the pie. Some people prefer certain parts of jkd...grappling, punching and so on. To really have an awnser to multiple, unpredictable sitiuations AND be adaptable, its best to taste as much of that pie as possible!! :P

BTW...i am not biased to any art, i think everything has merit and strong points. I think those who are, pretty single minded in my opinion.

possibly, but there are still problems with that philosophy.

1. look at wing chun, muay thai and savate. ALL of them have TOTALLY different kicking methods and footwork - yet and still you are learning kicks from all three styles. This can be very confusing to some.

2. In today's environment, trapping really isn't a necessary skill to have. this is why modern groups like straight blast gym don't trap anymore. instead, they work from the clinch. I have never used any of the trapping I learned in jun fan in a fight, sport or street.

3. the pie you are making consists of slices of other pies - those slices in themselves are not complete. by taking several incomplete slices and trying to make a complete pie, you stand a chance of making a complete mess. With MMA, for example, you have one complete striking art and one complete grappling art - not several incomplete slices jumbled into one.

You guys are trying to explain this too much, JKD concepts is what you make it If you go to a JKD class you get a good general out line of what could work for you in a fight, if you don't like trapping, don't use it, use a Muay Thai style clich for control, if you don't like being on the ground, learn wrestling or BJJ so you can defend takedowns

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

possibly, but there are still problems with that philosophy.

1. look at wing chun, muay thai and savate. ALL of them have TOTALLY different kicking methods and footwork - yet and still you are learning kicks from all three styles. This can be very confusing to some.

2. In today's environment, trapping really isn't a necessary skill to have. this is why modern groups like straight blast gym don't trap anymore. instead, they work from the clinch. I have never used any of the trapping I learned in jun fan in a fight, sport or street.

3. the pie you are making consists of slices of other pies - those slices in themselves are not complete. by taking several incomplete slices and trying to make a complete pie, you stand a chance of making a complete mess. With MMA, for example, you have one complete striking art and one complete grappling art - not several incomplete slices jumbled into one.

With all due respect to your opinon, id have to disagree.

Street fighting, by its nature, is severel incomplete slices jumbled into one!

Thats why JKD is not a style...its a street fighting concept.

You would also likely use trapping if an assaliant had you agaisnt a wall, to get out and make distance, if nothing else.