• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Green Belt

Fish

Quote: I was the only adult testing.

Is it common to have children in schools training with adults? In my dojo the are a few teenagers about 16 and up, but no one who be considered not an adult in training.

we all train together. there are a few 'advanced' classes for brown belts and up (and any one who can handle the pace), and that's regardless of age too. I sparred with a 7 year old the other day, he barely reached my waist, but boydid he come at me. To be fair, I could have flattened him with a kick to the face, but that doesn't mean I can't take his height into consideration, drop my stances, and learn something from him.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done. i was always nervous and tense during my gradings. My instructors always told me to calm down.

8)

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

Well done mate! :wink: I know very well how nerve raking and hard to relax it is at gradings, and Ive probably made similar mistakes

I was the only adult testing.

Is it common to have children in schools training with adults? In my dojo the are a few teenagers about 16 and up, but no one who be considered not an adult in training.

Where I train we have separate classes for juniors and adults but some (like me) do both classes in order to get some extra training in. Im just sixteen hav just moved to the adult class( although I currently do both) :karate: :D

Well done mate! :wink: I know very well how nerve raking and hard to relax it is at gradings, and Ive probably made similar mistakes

I was the only adult testing.

Where I train we have separate classes for juniors and adults but some (like me) do both classes in order to get some extra training in. Im just sixteen hav just moved to the adult class( although I currently do both) :karate: :D

Congrats to Fish.

I'm 16 and have trained in both child and adult classes from 13, that is for both TKD and Karate. I also have England squad training for TKD. Training in an adult class greatly helps the development of young martial artists and could help with some adult practitioners humility.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

I agree about the humility bit - especially as I wrestle to get my 36 yr old body to remember the moves for Pinan Shodan while watching the 12 year old 1st kyu perform the really complicated katas with incredible grace and power!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Good job Fish.....keep going :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Congratulations,

Tonight I'll be testing for my Orange belt and I also will be the only adult testing for that grade (lots of yellow and yellow white tests or higher belt testing brown, shodan-ho etc.) We have very few intermediate ranks now (Orange,green, blue).