united studios of self defense (USSD)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited the USSD in NOVA and did think the prices excessive, however, the instructor I worked with had a very good working knowledge of his art, butu I'm also not an expert in Kenpo or Kung Fu. Very n ice office and computer system.... Man I wonder how much he makes?!?

Around here $100/month is the average (Bjj/TSD) or even cheaper (Judo, rec center karate)

Hey jwluiza,

How much are the classes? What did you like about? What did you not like about it? What degree of black belt was the instructor and how long has he been training? I notice alot of instructors are pushed threw the ranks to run schools. Did the instructor know charles mattera was with grand master fred villari before he went on his own.

Well it turns out this was not the first break in. Three 3rd degree black belts USSD instructors ( rick peterson chief instructor of the lafayette dojo, tony henkenberns chief instructor of highlands ranch dojo, rachel johnson chief instructor of colorado springs dojo) broke in on january 10 2005 and stole sean foys gi's and some of his belts. About $400 worth of stuff and trashed his dojo.

The day before will clark a 5th degree came in and harassed him and said he was a break away from ussd and that peoples legs get broken over things like this! This is in the police report that sean filed a couple days later.

On march 13 2005 Sean foy came into his dojo and found his front window smashed in.

On may 27 2005 Sean foy was jumped outside his house by three people and his bad left knee was broken in 2 spots and 3 ribs and his left arm and multiple contusions to the head.

Rick peterson was arrested outside seans dojo on may 30th and issued a 1year no trespass to his dojo, sean's assistant instructors recognized him and called 911 and locked the door. He tryed to get in but was arressted.

Sean left ussd the year before and blow out his knee while working for them but he had to pay for the surgery himself.You can find these reports at the lafayette police department in colorado.

I am surprised know one replyed to this!

This is not cool :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

Hey jwluiza,

How much are the classes? What did you like about? What did you not like about it? What degree of black belt was the instructor and how long has he been training? I notice alot of instructors are pushed threw the ranks to run schools. Did the instructor know charles mattera was with grand master fred villari before he went on his own.

How much: About 4x going rate in the area (but included 8 private lessons a week... but I never really needed private lessons) It sounded as if they taught mostly through private lessons. I would say around $100 month is average around the DC area. I thought the instructor I worked with was very knowledgable. He was charismatic and moved well (made me feel rusty). In terms of what I don't like... Hmmm. Well, the price is prohibitive and I didn't get a good feel for the school culture... I would have preferred a group class as my trial lesson. And yes the instructor was aware of Mattera/Villari etc. But whatever. I gained some respect for the art, but also had some stereotypes strengthened.