• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help! Choosing between 2 good dojos!

snazzed

Ok, here is the story. Looking for a new dojo to train at after leaving a McDojo and I have checked out 4 different places 1 of which was very dissapointing. 1 was a good Dojo but the style looked very different from what I am used to... 2 of them look very good and have me pumped about Karate again. I need help choosing...

Similarities

- JKA and KarateBC members

- 10-ish students in their adult classes with a fairly even mix of belts levels.

- 20 minute drive from where I live

- Well known instructors in the above associations with good reputations.

- Excellent instruction and conduct of class.

Surrey Shotokan Karate Club:

Pros:

- Shotokan is where I have my roots. This would be more familiar.

- They would respect my existing rank and I might actually earn a black belt before I die of old age.

- Club is fairly new and instructor said they would appreciate having an experienced intermediate belt around for leadership and spirit.

- Timing: I work an early shift and this class fits my schedule well.

Cons:

- Fairly new club. They don't have an established core group of students.

Delta Karate School: Shito-Ryu

Pros:

- Excellent, excellent technique. Just with their form, timing and execution, the lead instructors are easily in the top 10 Martial Artists I have seen. And they are only Yondan (4th degree)

- Very friendly. Every single student took the time to come up and introduce themselves to me and welcome me to the class. All of them.

- They have a seperate "Black Belt Only" class taught by another individual. Should have asked his name and rank.

- Weapons classes.

- I have seen a lot of Karate places. Some of them are just good Karate Dojos with people learning Karate. These people make me think "Martial ARTISTS"

Cons:

- It is a different style, so I would start over from white belt... and I'm 30 years old already!

- It is just about as late as I could handle. I work an early shift and I would basicaly get home from class and go to bed.

Reading this over, I'm leaning towards the Delta Shito-Ryu... but starting over at white belt... man that would hurt.

Opinions?

snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't be afraid of starting from white belt... I started almost one year ago as a white belt I'm 43 (almost 44 now) and I still hope not to receive my BB ad memoriam. :lol:

The interesting thing of the first dojo is that it is lighter on your schedule and that you are already familiar with the techniques.

However if the second (according to the way you talk about it) is a better place, get the spirit and have a new start!

Based on what you've written, you've already chosen the second one, you're just concerned about starting over, and the timing.

If you can get over those two issues, it sound like the choice is already made.

In all likelihood, your prior experience may help you move through the belt ranks more quickly anyway...

...and some of the best martial artists I know are "only" 4th Dan....

Choose with what you feel is right. Don't worry about the belt level. Your past experience will easily guide you through at a quicker pace than those just starting out from square one :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I too get the feeling that you have already made your choice for the second dojo. Even if you start from white belt, you may progress faster because of your past experience in martial arts. Even if it's a different style, your Sensei will be able to notice crisper technique because of your background and you may be able to progress faster. Have this conversation with your Sensei and let him/her know what your background is and what your intentions are. You may even be able to pick up a few private classes to advance a little faster than others.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Someone asked if I could do both... the thought HAD occurred. Unfortuantely, life doesn't always let us do all the things we would like and it just wouldn't work. Can't afford two martial arts places and the wife would probably divorce me if I was out four nights a week. At one point I thought, maybe I could get her into it and then it would not be an issue. Try as I might, she refuses.

At any rate, even as I was previewing my submission, I started to realize that I had already decided and I knew where I wanted to go. So here is the plan:

Sensei at Delta Shito-Ryu said, with an air of pride, that they sometimes run late... I'm going to go there tonight, let them know my work situation, and ask them how often it happens. If they run late frequently then this place, as good as it is, is impractical for me. And back to Shotokan I go!

Thanks again

snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

You do what you have to. If your Sensei is understanding, he'll let you leave when you have to go.

As long as you arrange it ahead of time, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've had students that have had to do this, and it isn't an issue for me, as long as they're not disrupting the class.

As long as they want to learn, they're welcome to come, but as an instructor, it's important to stick to the schedule when you can.

I often run over in my Saturday Adult class, but I always stop when the scheduled class end time comes around, and ask if anyone needs to leave.

Most of the time, everyone sticks around, but sometimes they can't. That's just the way of things.

Delta Karate School: Shito-Ryu

Pros:

- Excellent, excellent technique. Just with their form, timing and execution, the lead instructors are easily in the top 10 Martial Artists I have seen. And they are only Yondan (4th degree)

- Very friendly. Every single student took the time to come up and introduce themselves to me and welcome me to the class. All of them.

- They have a seperate "Black Belt Only" class taught by another individual. Should have asked his name and rank.

- Weapons classes.

- I have seen a lot of Karate places. Some of them are just good Karate Dojos with people learning Karate. These people make me think "Martial ARTISTS"

Cons:

- It is a different style, so I would start over from white belt... and I'm 30 years old already!

- It is just about as late as I could handle. I work an early shift and I would basicaly get home from class and go to bed.

Reading this over, I'm leaning towards the Delta Shito-Ryu... but starting over at white belt... man that would hurt.

Opinions?

snazzed

Only a Yondan :roll: Dude get a grip. Where I come from a bb is not guaranteed and a yondan is quite an accomplishment. Of course at your McDojo's I suppose you can get your yondans with ketchup to go.

It sounds like you were impressed by the people at Delta as they seemed like "martial artists." Why not be a martial artist like them instead of worrying about the quickest path to a black belt. Be the best martial artist you can be and forget about the color of your belt.

30 years old!? That's not too old to learn new tricks. Go with Delta.