• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shodan Ho grade....

To all those who have a Shodan Ho grade in their system:

do you get to wear a full blackbelt (i.e. a belt that is just black) when you are at Shodan Ho gade, or do you wear a separate coloured/striped belt that comes between 1st kyu/gup and Shodan?

We don't have Shodan Ho in my system - we test for 1st kyu, then the next test after that is Shodan (1st Dan Blackbelt).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So..you've not met the requirements for black belt from your sensei..which takes me back to my origional thoughts. If you're not where you need to be in your sensei's eyes for a black belt..then for me, it makes no sense to give you one

I see where your coming from but in requirements heres mainly what it is: He wants a thesis about what Martial Arts has meant for me, I'm writing about my journey to BB(Advanced Student). I need to learn more self-defense strategies and situations. I need to create a kata and there are some I still need to learn.

The thing is, I do wear a black belt and in tourneys here I could just show up in a black belt. But my sensei feels I'm ready for this level but there is plenty of growing to do. We never stop learning and BB is not the top of the mountain, there isn't one in MA because it's so broad.

I guess it's kinda hard to understand but I'm sure he feels I'm ready to hold this grade and will grow quickly in it. :karate:

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

We have Cho Dan Bo in our system, and it is a Dark Blue Belt.

For lack of a better term, a person who is a CDB is a "Black Belt Candidate." One usually spends 6-9 months in this position and is basically tested with the responsibility of a Yudanja and held to a more rigorous standard. The test is the same price as a regular gup/kyu examination. The rank gains you admission to Yudanja events, and starts you on the road towards becoming an Instructor.

I HATED being a CDB, as my instructors were very strict and demanded perfection. It showed me 2 things: that I still had a LONG way to go, and that being a competent black belt required a greater skill set than just kick/punch.

As to why not just do this at 1st Gup, I would ask, why even have 10 gup/kyu ranks? Why not 3, 5, 42, etc?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

My TSD dojang did it the same way, Tommarker. And I agree :)

For aefibird, we wear a black belt with nothing on it for cho dan bo (as it is in TSD) in TKD. It's between high red and the real black belt. Like Tommarker said, the instructors are basically very strict and demand perfection. This is to see if you have what it takes to have the real thing.

Some don't make it through this point, so it's to "weed" out the "wanna-be's" from the serious students.

Laurie F

We also have Shodan ho in my dojo.

It is the last exam you take in the dojo, it means you are ready to go for the black belt which is an exam that is held in the Headquarters of the Regional federation FIJLKAM (Not in my town). The same apply for 2nd and 3rd dan, while 4th and 5th dan you have to go to the national HQ in Rome.

Inside the dojo the Shodan ho wears a Black belt like shodans but cannot wear it in turnements or official occations. It is a sort of pre-selection of your dojo before attending the official BB. Usually this last for less then 6 months (just before the Shodan exam held twice a year)

My old club had shodan-ho's. THey wear a plain BB. Shodans can have their names in the spangly writting :P

Not an idea I personally liked, but it seems be getting more popular these days. (god that makes me sound old!).

Im with Shorin on this...why not just have the same process as a 1st kyu?

What got me about the old club was that you spent about 9 months+ on 1st kyu...then the same again on Shodan-Ho. A bit weird.

Ho hum, to each their own I suppose.

Well, it looks like I'm not alone on this. Well good luck to those who are where I'm at.

Glad I have company..:)

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."