• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kwon-Do a martial art or a sport ?

but TKD practitioners generally don't train for that kind of sport fighting.

exactly like i said they dont train to compete against trained fighters and they cant.

MT is sport

no it was invented for military use, it has evolved into a sport..MT wasant made for ring fighitng it just so happend it works in them because it is an efficent stlye. MT wasant made for K-1 anymore than TKD so that argument holds no weight.

True combat is I will do whatever it takes to survive.

like not punching to the face or kicking to the legs or groin or throat? dont act like you train with those things and spar with them. tkd dosent practice any techniques that are illegal in K-1.

MT fighters wouldn't do well, IMO, in a TKD tournament.

thats because TKD tournament fighting isint real fighting and it limits contact and techniques..k-1 or MT rules wouldent limit TKD people form doing anything.

can MT fighters gouge eyes in a fight? How about punch to the groin or throat? If not, it is not true combat, but sport

TKD does not pactice/spar with any of these either. I can tell you this would you rather fight a World class MT fighter who could do these things or a TKD guy who could od these things...they help but they are not the ultimate equalizer.

Is there practical self-defense taught in MT?

is there in tkd? i think alot of thinkgs about tkd are unrealistic for real world self defense.

what I odnt understand is people think that if a Fighter steps out of the ring he has somehow lost all his abilitysand all these people he would KILL in a ring are now equals because now they can bite and eye gouge..i guess he cant.

honestlys guys im not upset or trying ot bash tkd im just discussing this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if rules of engagement are attached, it’s a sport.

yes, but TKD has ALOT more rules than MT..MT fighters spar full contact with kicks,punches, elbows, knees etc

TKD dosent even allow face punches(if so very light contact) or leg kicks or knees..elbows etc...whitch one seems more of a sport to you?

Most of the students I talk with outside of my school claim it is a sport. I tend to disagree since street self defense is taught at more and more schools(TKD) these days. Adults and teens for the most part, want to know how to protect themselves not compete in the ring. Knowing this TKD schools would be foolish not to offer street sd.

We have told you our reasonings. You have chosen not to accept them. There are capable fighters on both sides for their sport. TKD was originally a military MA that deteriorated into a sport. In Korea they still practice the original concepts and training.

And yes I do train with eye gouging and the like because that is how I train. Do I train full contact? No, I am not allowed. Could I? Sure. I do not participate in sport TKD for the reasons that have been laid out here. Can I handle myself in a fight? Yes.

As far as bashing TKD, you are, however inadvertantly. We believe what we believe. You do as well. Nothing will change our minds. I believe we TKD's are more opened minded than most though. We readily admit our arts short comings, but from what I have seen from most MT's you don't.

The point of my question was valid. Is MT a self-defense art or sport art? You never answered my question, only asked me a question in return. I have answered your initial question many times. TKD is both an art and a sport. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

ok, well first off I do belive MT has plenty of weaknesses but It is proabably the best standup fighting stlye in the world.

weaknesses-

-lack of ground fighting

-lack of sparring with groin kicks

-lack of weapon defenses

-lack of defenses from things such as headlocks/chokes/holds etc.

-sometimes too sport oriented.

MT has evolved into a sport but it was no more made to be a sport than TKD and i still belive tkd has alot more rules than mt.

Is MT a self-defense art or sport art?

depends on the school, i would say for thats one of its weaknesses..too sport oriented, but I still belive MT teaches fighting..and they would be bale to defend themsleves better than most in a a real fight.

everyone thinks that once a MT fighter steps out of the ring he can no longer fight and that bothers me.

There are capable fighters on both sides for their sport.

sure there are people who trian in tkd who can wipe the floor with most people it all depends on the school/teacher..but the fact remain that when it comes down to it, certain stlyes would dominate it in 1 vs 1 fighting.

what i see is this..everyone is saying TKD teaches real self defense/fighting etc and MT is a sport.

like i said before,

- one trains full contact with knees/elbows/kicks/punches

-one dosent allowe kicks below the waist or empasize punching to the face and dosent allow knees or elbows

whitch one seems like more of a sport? honestly?

Edited by TJS

Have we reached an agreement? :o :D

Now can we discuss something else? This horse is dead. :cry:

Thanks for the respectful debate TJS. :)

Ken Chenault

Just checked your profile. TKD? You my friend are a dog! :D :lol: :lol:

Does the KM stand for Krav Maga? Hope I got that right. :)

Ken Chenault