Tae Kwon-Do a martial art or a sport ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sport, TKD is fun and everything but it woudl never work on a trained fighter.

obviously alot depends on the school...but the majority of it is sport IMO.

Where's my horse whip?! Will the beating of a poor dead animal never cease? :lol:

I say both. I am not in it for sport, but sport can be fun.

MT, fo example, is a sport very similar to boxing, in the fact that it is trained to fight under rules, but is it any less effective? I think not. I've seen some of those fights and they are brutal. Knees flying......cracked ribs.....everywhere. Nasty stuff primarily for sport not self-defense, but effective enough none the less, IMHO. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Sport, TKD is fun and everything but it woudl never work on a trained fighter.

So basically, us TKD students are not trained fighters? I am trained to defend, evade, counter, and immobilize... so I suppose that's fighting... so I'd say I'm a trained fighter. Why so much hate for TaeKwonDo?

Fury

~Traing in Songham TaeKwonDo since 2001~

Don't take it personally Fury, This discussion is as old as dirt. Hence my post on beating the dead horse, which happens quite alot around here and can be fun and interesting.

Pilsung!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Don't take it personally Fury, This discussion is as old as dirt. Hence my post on beating the dead horse, which happens quite alot around here and can be fun and interesting.

Pilsung!

Not just around here. You'll find that attitude all over the place. :x

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I just quit a place that was into the sport end of it (and charges too much!). That's fine for those who like sport. But I'm in it for self defense. In my opinion, they lacked in that department.

When I did Tang Soo Do, I dissed TKD. I thought it was all sport. When I moved to NY and joined this place, yes it was. But I just found a dojang (well actually a few months ago) that is TKD and ISN'T sport. They do have a competion team, but they are the only ones who do the sport end of it. They even have their own "coach." The rest of them (which will include me soon) learn self defense. The normal kick/punch stuff as well as joint locks, take downs, breakfalls, some grappling, even weapons. But then again, it's mixed with TSD hehehehe :P (Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do)

This dojang changed my opinion on TKD. As in "open mouth, insert foot" LOL.

Most people, even me at the time, who never tried TKD are the ones who "dis" it. It's only because they don't understand it. They just "see" the high kicking. They don't see the "whole picture."

And for the rest I was going to say, Spinning took the words outta my mouth LOL. Good post ;)

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F