• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kwon-Do a martial art or a sport ?

Just curious... what grade/rank did you achieve in TKD?

My school teaches:

quick 4-6 punch/brawler combos

ground defense

pressure point manipulation (from head to toe)

Weapon attacks/defense

disarming attackers

all in addition to our forms, regular class material, and full contact sparring. My school also does a lot of endurance drills, so we can not only defend ourselves, but recover and escape. We do not condone fighting outside the school unless it is in self-defense. I attend/teach classes for nearly 4 hours a day, 4 days a week.

Reiteration: TKD (like you said about MT) is different based on the Instructor AND the association that school shares. There are US Army divisions that actively train their soldiers in TKD, one hour every morning (in addition to PT), M-F. I am comfortable in the fact that I can hold my own, and my self respect, attitude, and perseverance are all things that I am proud of.

Fury

~Traing in Songham TaeKwonDo since 2001~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what grade/rank did you achieve in TKD?

1st deg black belt.

ATA-sounds good, like I said alot depends on the school and it sounds like you have a good one.

but i have to ask are all of the thing s you learn Traditional TKD techniques? the groundfighting for example? do you actually "roll" whitch would be the equivelent to sparring.

do you actually "roll" whitch would be the equivelent to sparring.

Yes, some of it involves rolling, but I don't understand what you mean by sparring... please clarify? I never thought of it as sparring, but....

Fury

~Traing in Songham TaeKwonDo since 2001~

well you know how in sparring you are free to do what you want..kicks, punches, combos etc..

rolling is the grappling equivelent..you just grapple..you can both try to gain better positioning..go for chokes/arm bars/ locks etc..