• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SHOULD I STAY OR GO? DISRESPECT WITHIN THE DOJO.

shitokai-student

WHAT SHOULD BE DONE? I WAS DISRESPECTED AND INSULTED WITH-IN THE DOJO AT MY LAST TRAINING SESSION AND AM IN 2 MINDS WETHER OR NOT TO CONTINUE THE PRACTICE OF MARTIAL ARTS. MY DOJO HAS BECAME TO POLITICAL AND IF YOU ARE NOT WITH THE RIGHT GROUP THEN YOU ARE NO ONE. I HAVE STAYED NEUTRAL THROUGHOUT AND I SEE GOOD AND BAD POINTS THROUGHOUT BOTH ARGUMENTS. MY SENSEI DREW ME INTO A FIGHT AND I, FOOLSHLY, RESPOND WITH A VIOLENT ACTION. THIS LEAD TO ME BEING OUTCAST BY SOME AND WELCOMED BY OTHERS WHO WISH THEY COULD HAVE TRIED THE SAME. I DONT CONDONE MY ACTIONS AND WONDER (ALTHOUGH NOT FORMAILY ASKED TO LEAVE) IF I SHOULD FIND ANOTHER STYLE AND WITHDRAW FROM MY CHIKARA COMMUNITY? ALL REPLYS ARE WELCOMED. ALSO IF YOU PREFER EMAIL ME FROM MY PROFILE TO MSN.

TRAIN HARD, LIVE HARDER

FIGHT HARDEST OF ALL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give few more details? It is dojo (karate)politics or general politics? What you mean by been drawn in a fight responding with violent action to your sensei? If the situation is as bed as I can understand from your statement (but I think they should be more specific) I think you better leave.

What you can learn in a place where you had a physical argument with your sensei?

Welcome aboard, Shitokai-student. You'll find this a friendly community.

Before I start with a response, I'd like to give a slight suggestion that you not type in all capital letters, so that nobody thinks that you are "shouting."

Now, for my response:

If you actually came to blows with sensei, then this is not a good sign at all, regardless of who was at fault. A relationship between sensei and student should never come to the point where they are actually in a heated violent fight with each other. Such a relationship is built on trust, and honor. Secondly, an instructor is not supposed to lose his temper in that manner, even if provoked. Becoming a black belt, and then a sensei, means that you are supposed to be able to excercise a decent level of control of your own self.

This is much different than, say, a sensei and student doing controlled full contact fighting, or even a sensei and student fighting in a "no-holds barred" match (such as UFC), since there's still the element of control.

I'm not necessarily telling you to leave the dojo. At least try to speak with Sensei, regarding the previously mentioned event. If you really want to stay, then work out a professional agreement, that you keep politics out of the dojo. If this is unacceptable to either party, then that's when you leave.

It's not going to be easy, though. I'd imagine that the previous event has left some hard feelings. Still, I would go ahead and talk with your sensei to clear the air. Do this in private, and not on the dojo floor, out of respect. Even if you can't agree to keep things non-partisan, at least you will have spoken your mind, and that you can leave on a more peaceful note.

personally,

i wouldnt want to train if my place dojo was dependant on my sociall/political outlook, and not my skills...

look for a new dojo, it'll prob' serve better in the longrun.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I recently left a dojo after 8 years because of politics and deceitfulness. I was (am) a second degree BB and was training for my third degree test, which would have been in March. The instructor lied to me and tried to play me against another senior student, who also happens to be my best friend. She lied about him to our head master, causing him not to get his own dojo. It was a big mess. In one fell swoop, she lost 6 black belts (which is all she had). She now has three people that are brown-tip, green, and green...and one white belt. The three people with color on their belts are all suffering from injuries right now.

I did not want to give up what I have worked so hard towards, but with the problems and the politics, I had to move on. It turns out that I ended up in something a lot better (Krav Maga). I love it and have become close friends with the two instructors (Mike Diamant and Sam Sade). They came to St. Louis and started a Krav Maga school in early October. The first group, of which I am a part, is going to be testing for level 2 on 2/20. I am also taking over management of their web site, https://www.kravmagastlouis.com, which is the same job I did for the other school.

I feel like I found my home...I found where I am supposed to be. By the way, two other BB's from the other school joined at the same time. One of them has been my best friend for 12 years.

I agree with most people here. The atmosphere in the dojo is of paramount importance, and if you don't feel comfortable there you won't learn as fast and you will be miserable in the long run. You are better off finding a new dojo.

I hope you find a good place. Good luck!

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

It sounds like things were completely out of control at your dojo. I don't think I would've waited for so many things to happen before thinking about leaving.

I think it's important to find another dojo that you feel comfortable in, and that is much more welcome and safe. Seriously, what sensei "draws" a student into a fight?

I wish you good luck in finding a place that nurtures your MA needs! :D

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

If things really are that bad, you should move and find somewhere you are happy. Politics are politics, karate is karate. You are there to learn martial arts, not about who should be president or whatnot...so all-in-all I believe you should find a different place to train.

Edited by 1kickKO

It is a rule at our dojo and as well as in Shotokan Karate that Karate begins and ends with respect.

It does not sound like a decent teacher at all that would entice you into a fight. If he wanted to test you skills he could have simply done that through a nice sparring match.

Another thing to note is that Karate training is supposed to help you to learn how to avoid fights all together. Not that you wont eventually end up in one sooner or later. I actually heard the saying one time that the best lesson the grandmaster ever taught was how not to fight.

The issue sounds it is best to just find another teacher.