• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

switching styles - need goju ryu katas

SVanderkolff

we recently switched styles from Tsuroka to Goju Ryu and we were wondering what the best source is for the katas. ( other than the sensei of course) . We would like to proactice at home but need some books or at least pictures of the katas to do so.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for the help

Steve

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Actually, you should ask your Sensei /Shihan what is recommended. Your instructor can point out the proper books that will give you the right sequence and techniques.

This is very important. Even though all Goju Ryu dojos will perform the same core of katas, not all Goju Ryu dojos will perform the katas in the same way, as various techniques will differ slightly.

Here's a site with some kata. Hopefully they are a lot like the ones you'll learn but there is usually some differences from school to school.

http://www.susumuryu.com/syllabus.php

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Here's a site with some kata. Hopefully they are a lot like the ones you'll learn but there is usually some differences from school to school.

http://www.susumuryu.com/syllabus.php

Nice link thank you, I looked for a link like that for months!!!!! :)

I am sorry but that kata is not strong and is heavily modified in a way I have never seen before, and I have trained in both Japanese and okinawan systems.I am speaking about the website not the DVD Morio Higaonna is first rate karateka and his DVD's are quite excellent. Bottom line though find out from your sensei what type of goju you are doing there are several houses that are notible I can help you more after I know which kan or house kata's you are doing

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Thanks All.

I will talk to my sensei next class and see what videos or books he recommends.

Mildmay is just south of Walkerton. 1 hour north of Kitchener. 1 hour south of Owen Sound.

Are you in the area?

Steve

Thanks for the help

Steve