• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Purple belt in 6 months.

Let's see... 3 months of shorei goju ryu... still a white belt... should make 9th kyu by April and (hopefully) yellow belt/8th kyu August. And that's if I keep going, practice on off nights, and show repect to my teachers.

I must be an idiot. Your friend is obviously a lot better student than I am.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Ive said it before and Ill say it again.....

"Belt hold up pants....get on mat and train".....

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I disagree. Belts do not hold up pants the elastic band and the string hold up pants, belts keep your gi closed. :lol:

Anyhow if someone trains for the belt sooner or later he will end up in a belt factory.... that's because he will start to make calculations like the one made by jarretmeyer.... ok maybe he was just joking... but somebody else may not.

Anyhow if someone trains for the belt sooner or later he will end up in a belt factory.... that's because he will start to make calculations like the one made by jarretmeyer.... ok maybe he was just joking... but somebody else may not.

For the record, I was joking in my above post. There isn't a [sarcasm] tag.

I measure my success by my improved energy levels, slowly reducing waistline, and increase quantity and quality of pushups and crunches. Feeling better about myself and having pride that I'm really enjoying such a physical activity is worth more than any belt.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

As a TKD instructor I tell all my students that no style is better than any other style. Everybody needs to find a style that fits them and that they enjoy and that ANY style will be effective if it is practiced and the student works at it.

Now, how long has this guy been going to classes? He might just be getting over the "I am new to Martial Arts" energy and he'll calm down over time.

If he's just being a jerk about it then you might want to simply ask him "Why is it necessary for you to put my style down to make yours sound better?"

Or, as was suggested, invite him to visit one of your classes. But be careful, you might wind up giving him more ammo.

As for the weapons thing, we do not allow our student to learn a weapon until they reach black belt. For us it's a question of responsibilty and focusing on the fundementals of TKD. I know different schools have different mentalities on this and that's cool. It's just the way we like to do things.

I'm curious how he can be taking regular TKD and weapons and managing to progress so fast. At the lower belts you can maybe test once every three months but as you advance, the time gets longer between tests as you learn the more difficult techniques. Just because you get worked hard in class doens't mean that you are getting quality instruction. I can work out my students until they puke but I don't know what I would be teaching them if I did.

In a nutshell. You seem happy with your style. Stick to it. If your neighbor wants to brag, let him. I think the true martial artist masters the "quiet confidence" that people can sense without having ever to say anything.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

We should all learn the lesson that is becoming more and more obvious to me the more I read this thread. If YOU (read any of us) are comfortable with your chosen school and art, then stop bagging on others schools and arts. There is a lot of bashing of a guy no one here (except the original poster) knows and his chosen art. Grow up and show some maturity people.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I disagree. Belts do not hold up pants the elastic band and the string hold up pants, belts keep your gi closed. :lol:

This isn't true. Some people will only appreciate a belt if they know how hard they had to work to get it - as a true symbol of everything they have achieved. What kind of kick would I get from my instructor handing me a new belt every week regardless of whether I try or not?

You can still train for the belt and not lose focus on what that belt symbolises.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum