• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

has any body been to this dojo its in the uk

Dux Ryu

im just wondering what there like http://www.totalkarate.com/

i sent an email asking them what style thay did and thay sent me this.

Thanks for your email.

The adults section in our club isn't huge, we work closely together at all levels. You don't have to be fit to start training since we are not a sports oriented club. Our syllabus is geared up to learning practical skills and is highly dependant on mastering a few basic principles.

If you want to come along for a couple of free sessions you are most welcome to turn up. Here's a quick rundown of our syllabus:

Kickboxing - basic kicking and punching skills, guarding, movement

Close Quarters - "wedge points", joint locks, grabbing, elbow and knee strikes

16 Gates - stances, angles, receiving movements, pressure points, "push hands" exercises from tai chi.

13 Hands - the basic postures of karate and their practical application

Circles - circular movements

The above are the skills we start with. From there we learn how to find them in traditional karate forms (kata). We also study chi kung breathing.

We are affiliated to Steve Rowe' s shikon organisation. https://www.shikon.com for more info.

Next training session is Monday at the Lyceum Hall on Dalkeith St. Barrow. Class starts at 7:25pm once the kids have gone home :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its affiliated to Shi Kon, one of the best clubs in the UK. It wont be sport orientated, but you will learn effective karate in a pleasent atmosphere.

Steve Rowe is who im moving a couple hundred miles down the country to train with..

Its affiliated to Shi Kon, one of the best clubs in the UK.

Yes, I've heard of nothing but praise for the ShiKon organisation.

Dux Ryu, are you going to go for a trial leson or two there? Good luck with it if you do! I hope that it's to your liking.

If you do go for a trial at that club and decide that you don't like it, I know of a couple of other karate clubs in the Barrow-in-Furness area. PM if you want further details.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

From the website it looks cute,

it is wado with some extra skills added keep us informed about your further impressions

Assuming it follows the main shi kon club, it will do yang family tai chi too (same as italian guy) the extra skills are little bits of kickboxing (for lack of better term) for imediate SD benefit.

Weapons wise Jodo (4ft pole) and Iaido (sword) may be available as may tai chi weapons such as the chineese broadsword, scholars sword and spear.

Its very much SD orientated as oppose to sporting karate. But has a relaxed atmosphere and no dojo politics and good instruction.

Of course I can only relate to my experience in Kent, but its all good. :) Go try a few free lessons, see what you think. And keep us informed.