• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Big Bellied Masters

I pride myself in my fitness and plan on staying healthy and fit for the rest of my life (Yes, I'm a certifiable health nut...I eat tofu, drink soymilk and gave up junk food years ago, so it isn't a temporary "fad" thing).

All the same, I've seen many people who were perhaps a little overweight. Just this last Saturday, I had a chance to train with a godan who was visiting my instructor's dojo. We were having a training session for a yondan who is going to test for his godan in about two weeks. At any rate, this person was strong, experienced, but could probably lose a few pounds. At the same time, he had such an incredibly nimble way of moving combined with incredible efficiency that made me almost do a doubletake periodically when he would do something. Even just him doing a 180 degree turn was magnificient to watch. I for one would want to have him on my side during a fight (especially because that would mean I wouldn't have to fight HIM). But you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell that just looking at him.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno if this will bring anything to the topic, But I'm an avid reader and I read the whole Dune series (yes, the new ones too). In the Dune universe there is a planet reknown for the quality of their mercinaries, Ginaz. One of the ginaz trainers was hugely overweight, yet moved with speed and grace of a cat. It is often hinted that he keeps his condition that way to fool the ennemy. .... cool huh?

I'm always training to get rid of that 10+ kg (22+ lb) that separates me from having a good shape.

I'm also 43 and started MA when I was 41 (almost 42) although in sparring I'm not an easy win even for people much younger than me and more fit (with the same experience level), I think that moving an heavier body is still a drawback, but unfortunately those 10+ kg are hard to give away. :)

Reverand Furyama (sp?) is an Aikido master in San Francisco, I believe......he is quite large, yet moves so fluidly its unreal....another "large" guy was Moses Powell of NY.....at 300 lbs+, he can still do single finger rolls, and moves so fast and smooth, it really is quite impressive.....being "big" doesnt necessarily mean being "out of shape"......besides....."round" is a shape....lol

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:

I am fully capable of sparring my 8-10 students

Is that your 8 - 10 YEAR OLD students? :lol:

I started TKD when I was 35. In two years I was in the best shape of my life! I was never overweight until I got married and my social and sports activity slowed down. But after joining TKD with my boys I was able to shed over 30 lbs in those two years and had better endurance and strength then even when I played High School football or sports in college.

I'm 46 now and haven't been as active in tournaments as I have been in the past 8 years. I'm more interested in weapons right now, but I still spar twice a week. I'm trying to maintain some sort of conditioning, even if it's not competition shape. I've put a few pounds back on, but I can still run circles around some of the younger 20 and 30 year old kids in the class.

Remember. it's easier to keep your shape then to try to get it back. :karate:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Bruce Lee is dead. I don't want to be like him! :lol:

Bruces body and endurance was like an athletic 18 yr old,but his mind was of a 90 yr old.Got hit on the head a lot when he sparred with challangers.

Dan insanto is around 67-68? hes still got a great body and can move as he could 30 years ago.

Some folks believe all the fairy tales, the whole bruce fight record is one without any proof.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"