• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

strength

hey, ive got a routine which is directed at strength but i dont know if it is for mass as well i was wondering how can i get just strength with weights instead of mass )when i say mass i dont mean like bruce lee kinda mass but more like van damme)

any info helpful

"learning a martial art is like tuning a string instrument. tune the strings too hard and they will snap tune them too little and it will not play but tune it right and you will have music for a lifetime"-anonomous

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do 1-5 reps to gain strength without mass.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

do pushups on the side of ur hands and make sure that ur shoulders go straight down. do this slow.. very useful for hands

Learn with your heart...

Speak with knowledge...

Fight like a sword...

Convince with words...

And uuuh just a suggestion

Drink like a MAN!!!

IMO, I would have to give isometric excersizes their due when it comes to building real strength without bulking-up.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

thank you

also my friend is training for mass and strength as he is a kickboxer so he exhausts the muscle and he does 1 intense training session for each muscle group a in a week but he wants to do more bag work but doesnt want to burn out the muscle needing the and he says to ask can he still do bag work everyday or is the bag still exhausting the muscle making it not recover well

thanx for the advice for me aswell

"learning a martial art is like tuning a string instrument. tune the strings too hard and they will snap tune them too little and it will not play but tune it right and you will have music for a lifetime"-anonomous

I'd have to disagree with ya here....1-5 reps is generally used for mass building since you will be doing heavier weight. This will give you strength AND mass. Training this way also leads to overtraining quickly. To train for strength, use moderate weight and 8-12 reps. This also helps with your endurance when it comes to doing repetitive motions or grappling, etc. It's Ok to mix up the moderate training with 2 weeks or so of low rep heavy weight training. But don't do the low reps exclusively. You'll burn out and can actually lose strength doing it day in and day out. This is my routine for strength but not much mass:

Day one: Full body workout with bench press, pullups, rows, curls, tricep pressdowns, shoulder press, bodyweight only squats and lunges.

Day two: 40 minutes of cardio and abs.

Day three: off/ train at dojo.

Day four: Full body workout like day 1.

Day five: off/ train at dojo.

Day six: 40 minutes of cardio and abs.

Day seven: off or very light lifting- body part specific: bench for chest, curls or dips, train at dojo if up to it.

Mixed Martial Artist

high reps, low weight = strength

low reps, high weight = bulk, or mass.

Uhm, no. High reps, low weight = endurance.

Low reps, high weight = raw strength.

Listen, you can't get bulky without becoming stronger as well. There's no such thing as huge muscles and little strength, if you train naturally. As far as what supplements do to you, I don't know, never tried them.

And dude, Van Damme is a beast. Becoming as powerful as him is enough of a challenge. Don't worry about accidently lifting too much weight and waking up looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger the next morning. "Oops".

I'd say do all of it. Do bodyweight exercises, do high reps and low weights, do low reps and high weights. Do cardiovascular work. Become a renaissance lifter :)

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

I'd have to disagree with ya here....1-5 reps is generally used for mass building since you will be doing heavier weight. This will give you strength AND mass. Training this way also leads to overtraining quickly. To train for strength, use moderate weight and 8-12 reps. This also helps with your endurance when it comes to doing repetitive motions or grappling, etc. It's Ok to mix up the moderate training with 2 weeks or so of low rep heavy weight training. But don't do the low reps exclusively. You'll burn out and can actually lose strength doing it day in and day out. This is my routine for strength but not much mass:

Day one: Full body workout with bench press, pullups, rows, curls, tricep pressdowns, shoulder press, bodyweight only squats and lunges.

Day two: 40 minutes of cardio and abs.

Day three: off/ train at dojo.

Day four: Full body workout like day 1.

Day five: off/ train at dojo.

Day six: 40 minutes of cardio and abs.

Day seven: off or very light lifting- body part specific: bench for chest, curls or dips, train at dojo if up to it.

8-12 reps is classic body building rep range. If you do 1-5 reps, you do not cause as much hypertrophy, because it is neurological training.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

let me dispell a myth for you. as far as weight training is concerned, mass and strength go hand in hand until you get to something approaching arnolds size in his prime. that is not to say that just because you can bench more you can hit harder than someone. but you cannot gain additional power in your muscles without gaining additional muscle mass. the number of reps you do, the weight you do, depends on YOU and YOUR BODY.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli